Search Unity

Resolved How is the Time slot in the time node used?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by IamTirion, Apr 24, 2019.

1. IamTirion

IamTirion

Hello, my question is as the title asks. I have been following this tutorial:

At around 3:38, it appears that by plugging the Time slot in the time node to a Simple Noise node, it creates a panning effect. However, that is not the case on my end. Doing that turns the Simple Noise node to pitch black for me. The other slots such as Sine Time and Cosine Time work fine.

2. alexandral_unity

alexandral_unity

Unity Technologies

Confirm that you have all your nodes hooked up in the correct slots? On 19.1.0f2 with package 5.13 I'm getting the expected behavior.
    upload_2019-4-24_10-24-45.png

3. IamTirion

IamTirion

upload_2019-4-25_1-28-37.png
    Yeah. Here, I used exactly the same nodes as you did. By the way, I should mention I am using LWRP, and I am sure I installed it correctly according to the tutorials. I am also using Unity 2019.1.0f2, but my Shader Graph is 5.7.2, which the Package Manager says it is up to date.

4. Fainth

Fainth

Seems to be working for me on Shader graph 5.13.

What happens if you connect the 'add' node to gradient noise? It should also give a moving noise effect.
    And what happens if you connect Time to the noise output directly? (It flickers between gray tones for me)

5. alexandral_unity

alexandral_unity

Unity Technologies

Maybe try re-importing the packages in your project? I'm not able to reproduce this issue. I made a new project and stayed on 5.7 and I'm still getting expected behavior. If that still doesn't work, try upgrading to 5.13 like so:
    upload_2019-4-24_10-49-15.png

6. IamTirion

IamTirion

Thank you so much. Updating to 5.13 fixed it.