Search Unity

How is the deprecation of .JS actionscript proceeding?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by drudiverse, Sep 24, 2019.

1. drudiverse

drudiverse

How has deprecation of JS continued to through Unity 2017-2019? Is it still fully supported for all API's? only not supported in documents? That would be awesome!

At which stage did new API definitions appear that only work in C#, if that has happened? in U3D 2017/2018?

Thanks for the help!
    I love JS. it's so fast to write little test projects and have fun with. I can write CS, slower, I know it's even better, I just love JS for science research and mini projects, it's very cool.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Nope.
    Time to forget Unity JS. Is long gone.
    Assets are obsolete.
    Documentation is outdated.
    World have moved on.

If you have any projects in Unity JS, look for conversion tools. Somewhere here on the forum.
    I think you may be looking around Unity 5, or even 4?, to not jump too big Unity iterations at once, making conversion smoother.

But probably remaking directly in Unity 2018.x would be easier, than going through all hoops.

3. Baste

Baste

UnityScript .js files are supported in 2017.4, so it'll be in a supported Unity version until the end of this year.

Antypodish likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's a great idea to get into what C# actually really is in Unity. They only look slightly complex due to having a class structure, but this is generally always the same. Once you learn these little differences, there's nothing harder or longer about C#

You'd be freed up by switching to it, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Antypodish likes this.