Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

How is retention calculated?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by goonter, Sep 26, 2018.

1. goonter

goonter

General question about N day retention in Unity Analytics: is it calculated with a per-user rolling 24 hour window? Or is each calendar day a cohort for the purposes of retention?

The latter method is generally considered to be inaccurate because a user can visit the app at 11:59pm and then 12:01am and be counted as retaining for 1 day when they've really only been retained for a few minutes.

Just curious how Unity does this because the docs don't go into that much detail about the calculation. Thanks!

2. CharlesWard

CharlesWard

Unity Technologies

It is the latter, per-day cohort method. While you are correct that this method has some inaccuracy, that inaccuracy is averaged out over a large number of users (and I think is far more efficient to calculate than a rolling window).

goonter likes this.
  3. husamimate

husamimate

hi,
    i would like to use levels in my game. How do i go about it ?

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

5. husamimate

husamimate

game is ready, i just want to introduce Anaylitics Levels in it.

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

7. husamimate

husamimate

hi jeff,
    Thanx for you replay

I want user to see his analytics. He should be able to see his own
    previous analytics while he plays.

Is there any way thru which we can access our analytical data thru our own
    application and can show in our application while user us playing

So we can make user aware of his own actions and his moves.

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

9. husamimate

husamimate

thanx Jeff for the prompt reply,
    its good and adequate info for me.

Thanx once again

10. Livealot

Livealot

This thread took a weird turn, but the subject is right, so posting here rather than starting yet another thread on getting details behind the calculations.

I'm wondering whether players that continuously play a game count towards retention.

I install on Tuesday, and don't stop playing the game until Friday. Would I be included in Day 1 retention for Wednesday?

I'm guessing the answer is "no" because there's no login event for that player on Wednesday.