Search Unity

Feedback How important is the manufacturer model of a card?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by EthanWalter, May 26, 2019.

1. EthanWalter

EthanWalter

I have a borrowed 980 right now that j need to give back soon, so i want to go for a 1080 (or TI) because my 980 is kinda weak in some games

i found a Gigabyte 1080 for 350€ all the other models like the Aorus or Palit, Gainward... cost over 430€.....

what are the drawbacks of using a "cheap" manufacturer model?

(I got a 1080p 144Hz screen, would you recommend the TI for 550€ instead? I play mostly Tarkov and no brand new AAA titles)

2. bgolus

bgolus

I’d say this is kind of the wrong sub forum for this, but I’ll bite anyway.

Not much. Potentially slightly worse quality control and expected lifespan, a greater chance of needing to return it or make use of the warranty. Most likely noisier, both from fans and other electronic components (coil whine, capacitor squeal). Might not be as good looking, etc. It doesn’t mean they will have these problems, most “cheap” brands are going to be just as good or potentially better than the “top” brands.

The top 4 makers are probably Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, and EVGA. Aorus is a sub brand of Gigabyte, and usually just means it adds RGB LED lighting. Palit and Gainward are actually the same company, and some of their products are likely identical to each other in nearly every respect apart from the visual appearance and name slapped on the shroud. But really most of the “cheap” brands, like PowerColor, Zotac, XFX, ASRock, Palit, Galax (which is also really just Palit), PNY, etc. are all totally fine.