Search Unity

How I do a .PAD File with my ABB

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ElmisteriosoYtz, Aug 31, 2021.

1. ElmisteriosoYtz

ElmisteriosoYtz

My app weighs more than 150mb, I thought that the problem of uploading it to Google Play would end thanks to the OBBs, but because Google ruins all of them !, coming back now, not only Unity is updating my Android API to level 30 so that it is acceptable in Google Play, but I have to convert the ABB into PAD, or whatever it is done, I use Unity 2020.2.6f, please help me!

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I don't know anything about PAD files.

I think I read OBB is going away.

Traditionally to reduce OTA sizes, either Asset Bundles or nowadays Addressables are used to partition your game into what gets delivered with the AAB / APK and what gets streamed down later.

Tons of tutorials on both of those things.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Brathnann

Brathnann

I don't know what a pad file is either. The new format is aab. If once your aab file is split into 32 bit and 64 bit on Googles side, if it's above 150mb, you need to use their Asset Packs, which you can combine with addressables.
    I believe this is what we used at work.
    https://github.com/google/play-unity-plugins/issues/14#issuecomment-687910213
    But Android has a content delivery system and it works fairly similar to their old system, though I think size limitations are a little smaller.

4. ElmisteriosoYtz

ElmisteriosoYtz

I'm not that far advanced to understand this, PAD is from Google Asset Delivery or Play Delivery or something like that,

5. ElmisteriosoYtz

ElmisteriosoYtz

My ABB is 188MB

6. Brathnann

Brathnann

Your aab doesn't have to be 150mb. Just when Google gets it and builds your apk, that has to be 150mb. Unity actually will yell at you about it if it's not under that range.

I don't know how you build a pad file. We used addressables and those tied into the Play delivery system. These files are then included with the aab file and Google takes care of it when we upload to them. We didn't upload separate files.

If you don't want to use addressables, Google suggest just normal asset bundles.
    https://developer.android.com/guide/playcore/asset-delivery/integrate-unity

I don't think this makes separate files either honestly.

7. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Looks like OP is talking about this:

https://developer.android.com/guide/playcore/asset-delivery

EDIT: Disregard my ignorant ramblings below and skip to what Brathnann has replied to below me.

LIKELY NOT RELEVANT:

Never heard of it because it has ONLY to do with Android native-built apps.

Even if technically it could work with a Unity Android app, I don't believe it would be easy to integrate with a Unity binary; you would need to make bridging software in your game to unpack all the PAD data and somehow get it into some format that Unity can use.

And then obviously it would do you no good on any other target than Android.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  8. Brathnann

Brathnann

Both links I've shared are for using the play asset delivery system, but through Unity. We actually just dealt with this when we were releasing a new app for a client which is why I'm familiar with what we had to do. While Google has their assetbundle solution, someone figured out how to make it work with addressables.

Actually, for OP, the side menu just below the link @Kurt-Dekker shared even points to the same link I just shared for integrating asset delivery in Unity with asset bundles.

Actually, I'm not even sure PAD is a file extension. I think it's just Google's short hand name for Play Asset Delivery.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.