Search Unity

How hard is it to create something like this?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by TrackLabs, Feb 18, 2019.

?

Is this possible?

1. Yes. But really complicated

100.0%
  2. Yes. Pretty easy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but only with some workarounds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No. Not at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrackLabs

TrackLabs

Hello everyone.
    1. of all, I am not quite sure if I am in the right section, but I feel like it is correct enough to try it here.
    2. I recently found this Video

I absolutley love the Idea of doing this on my own. Its a great way to make YouTube videos, really.
    The Person in the Video uses Keyboard, Mouse, and a LeapMotion to animate the whole thing. And I am aware that he uses SFML and OpenGL, as he tells in the Video. Sadly he did not provice any other Information about how to do this.

I tried to use SFML and OpenGL, but I absolutley hate Visual Studio and the whole Environment...I thought that Unity might be a better approach for this?

Might should add that I never used Unity before, and I am willing to learn what I need to in Order to create the same thing. (Obviously, a different model, not his robot there). But with same features/controls if possible.

So my main question: Is this possible in Unity in a not absolutley complicated way?
    If so, any Tutorials/Resources I can already follow? I would go into Unity, and would have no idea where to begin with anything for this.

Thanks for any help!

2. DaDonik

DaDonik

VisualStudio is actually the best free IDE you can go with, when using Unity...so that already disqualifies Unity for you.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity is compatible with all and any IDE's from notepad to sublime text, so you can choose whichever IDE you would prefer. Naturally I do use VS, but I have happily used others in the past.

4. TrackLabs

TrackLabs

Yea, I do use Visual Studio CODE for my stuff. But Visual Studio, the whole thing where you can install programs etc, sucks

There is a difference between Visual Studio Code (a code editor) and Visual Studio (a piece of idk that breaks itself alot. i hate it. but visual studio code is fine)

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Er no.

Ryiah and Schneider21 like this.
  6. TrackLabs

TrackLabs

Er yes. Visual Studio Code is a different Program (blue symbol) thats a code editor. Done. With Syntax Highlights and other installable plugins. Visual Studio (without code) is the whole thing where you can install programs and develop stuff. But they are different things.

7. DaDonik

DaDonik

I just suspected you have no programming experience, like most of the newcomers that post in this part of the forum. Therefore i extrapolated and guessed that no IDE would be fine. I admit that might have been a bit of premature judgement.

Regarding the actual problem at hand:
    Rotating a head or lifting the arms of a character are no magic. Google should help you quite a lot, since there is a LOT of Unity related material out there.
    MagicLeap provides a Unity SDK on their website, so that should not require 'magic' either.

hippocoder likes this.
  8. TrackLabs

TrackLabs

I`m new to Unity, but not programming itself. So I`m fine with that.

Okay that helps. I was already sure Unity is able to pull this of, since Unity is often used for 3D Games, Mocap etc. But knowing that MagicLeap provides a Unity SDK makes this even better. SFML and OpenGL seemed too weird for that purpose.

Also, I assume that Unity is also able to like record actions, and render a imagine sequence, like the person in the video did? Not sure about that part.

9. DaDonik

DaDonik

Well you would provide that 'recording' functionality yourself.
    It's really nothing more than remembering for example the head rotation each frame and writing it to a normal C# list.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. class Recorder : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     private List<Quaternion> m_headRot = new List<Quaternion>();
    5.     [SerializeField]
    6.     private GameObject TheHead;
    8.     private void Update()
    9.     {
    10.         m_headRot.Add(TheHead.transform.roation);
    11.     }
    12. }
    Then you put that in a .cs file named Recorder and add the GameObject that resembles your head in the Inspector.
    You still need to make the replay feature, but i think you get the idea.

10. TrackLabs

TrackLabs

Definetly, that helps alot thanks. I`m absolutley new to Unity, so I still take time to actually learn it. Any Fields I definetly need/some fields i can skip cause i probably wont need them? I really just wanna do this. Nothing else. So far atleast. Im not much of a Game Developer

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm always amazed at the number of people that have it break for them. I can understand having performance problems as it's not a lightweight program by any stretch of the imagination. But I have never had it actually break for me in any way. If it's breaking for you I'm willing to bet that it's something else you have running. Like a poorly behaving antivirus.

VS Code is too new for me to make any sort of statement about its behaviour, but I have more than a decade of experience with Visual Studio (started with VS 2002) across multiple editions of Windows (started with Windows 2000) and I've never had the problems people keep having.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    hippocoder and Joe-Censored like this.
  12. TrackLabs

TrackLabs

Well when setting up SFML with Visual Studio it worked, for a while. And then literally on some random compile it just F***ed up the LINKER file. And i definetly wont call Avast a poorly behaving antivirus, so

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So I've locked this thread because:
    • you're ignoring people with decades of programming experience
    • your tone doesn't seem conductive to the mature discussion
    Feel free to make one topic at the correct part of the forum (read guidelines) for each issue you have. Don't mix your problems in the same thread - people can't help effectively. And finally, make sure the topic title contains a hint to the nature of the problem you need solving.

Happy developing.

JeffDUnity3D and Joe-Censored like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.