Search Unity

How Far Can Unity Go

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JaEvans, Jul 1, 2005.

1. JaEvans

JaEvans

I want to creat a massive first person real time environment. It will require some programming to add a few unique features but at first I just need to develop the prototype. The thing is that it is an architecturally based environment (buildings, etc) and the graphics need to be good. I will also want 5000 people in the world at once. Can Unity be used from start to finish. I will want it to accessible by Win platform people but that is apparantly comming soon. What about the quality of the graphics, the tools for development, and the versitility of the engine? Can someone comment on each of these concerns. I have looked at 3dGameStudio and Quest3d but I can not make up my mind on which one to purchase for this project. Please help me. The trouble with getting info about Unity is that the website is not so good.

Jason

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We are planning to add support for portal based culling, so huge architechturally based worlds will not be a problem.

Unity will be able to deploy games on windows within the next 3 months.

5000 people in the world will require you to do a lot of custom programming/scripting work in unity and knowledge about efficient network programming.

I am not aware of any non-custom solution that lets you just create masssive multiplayer worlds with 5000 people though. Whatever you choose you it will always require a lot of programming work on your side.

I'll let others answer the rest of your questions since i am biased.

3. dacloo

dacloo

I heared that a way to program a huge world (MMORPGs for example) is to simply ignore players that are too far away. Often, a world is devided in "rooms". If a player is not in your "room", network traffic and rendering is simply ignored. As soon as they arrive in your room, other player info (e.g health, appearance) is sent to you.

I've done programming for Dukatiers, a 3D UDP network game for the Sterrekind Foundation, and boy, network programming can be hard!

4. JaEvans

JaEvans

I understand the complexities. The main concern is getting a platform that will cut down as much time as possile. Rather than haveing to do it all, If I had one that could be adapted it would greatly help. I contacted Unity and they said that if the project went big they could release/license me the source code. I am thinking that this is the key to it all. Without the source code I don't think the engine could be work. Any thoughts on this?