Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

How else can similar repetitive tasks be simplified and accelerated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GalleyDevBoy, May 14, 2024.

1. GalleyDevBoy

GalleyDevBoy

Hello everyone! I am engaged in porting Unity projects to Google Play, AppStore, and other stores. The projects have 90-95% shared code. I believe that I have reached the limit and perfection in these tasks and there is nothing better to do. Please advise, how else can the execution of these tasks be improved, how can they be done more efficiently, and in which direction to look?

Here are the main types of tasks I work with:

1. Updating the Unity version to the latest

2. Fixing errors in the project

3. Implementing the ability to change the language at runtime

4. Adding new and adapting old UI elements

5. Adding and configuring Unity Services (Analytics, Remote Config, UIAP)

6. Configuring Project Settings

7. Building builds for stores

8. Implementing an ad plugin
    I do everything manually, but for automation, I created a package containing all the necessary solutions for porting: scripts and prefabs.
    Each project requires 6 different builds, which takes 4-5 days. How else can similar repetitive tasks be simplified and accelerated? The total number of projects is around 70.

2. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

On #1: The hub can do that via its CLI.

For #3 there are many assets in the store. Keyword: Localization.

#2 and #4 don't sound automatable to me.

On #5 and #6 possibly git can help. Make changes in one project and then cherrypick that commit into the repositories of all other projects with a command like shown here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...rry-pick-a-commit-from-another-git-repository
    However I would have some doubts about how reliable this is and could end up with many many edge cases. If shipping a game with a slight misconfiguration is deadly, don't do this.
    Maybe building a toolchain that helps a human verify the result is worth a thought.

#7 Build automatization is something you'll find a lot about online. Unity does have mechanisms for that.

#8 You don't intend to use an existing one?

Ryiah likes this.
  3. influjensbahr

influjensbahr

I have written a build server for our team, which might be something to look at for your step 7. Unity Cloud Build or Jenkins might be alternatives to building the build system yourself.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

We would need an AI that isn't prone to hallucinations and mistakes, but then if it were that competent we wouldn't need the developer. :p

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    influjensbahr and DragonCoder like this.