Search Unity

How easy is it to learn Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by irishmaniac2000, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irishmaniac2000

irishmaniac2000

I am currently using GameMaker Studio, but it is very glitchy and the 3d graphics are horrible. I am just using it because it's pretty easy to use, and creating games is fast. I was thinking about switching to Unity, but first I need to know how easy it is to learn/use. How fast is game making with Unity. How and where do you publish you're game with Unity?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Download it and see for yourself; it's free. How you publish games is up to you, nothing to do with Unity (aside from web games, in which case you'd need to find a portal that accepts Unity games).

--Eric

Geoter711 likes this.
  3. prophet

prophet

I would say it is easy, not very easy, but easy lol.

Download it, get the FPS tutorial on their website and give it a go.

4. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Unity is fairly easy to use, but the main thing to keep in mind is that it's more like a canvas whereas other game engines are sometimes more like a template. Meaning in Unity you can more or less do whatever you want but the catch is that you have to do it yourself. So if you want to make a game you'll have to learn how to program or team up with someone who already knows how. Or you can get one of the visual scripting tools on the asset store if you want node-based programming (I personally recommend Antares Universe but the others are good too). Likewise if you want to make a game with really good graphics you can do so, even in Unity Free, you just need to be able to make the 3d models, textures, animations, etc.

In short, your game is as good as you make it and takes as long to make as you let it.

Exporting/publishing your game is done practically with the click of a button, but publishing like getting on steam and all that is a different matter entirely

5. adamh1

adamh1

think the learning curve is about right, its not easy but its a powerful and very flexible game engine. Been using it 6 months myself and id say i have a good understanding of it and able to produce a pretty decent game as part of a team. Ive used other smaller game engines which take 5 minutes to learn, involve a lot of drag and drop- a month later i get frustrated with their limitations. So im happy i chose unity

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I would say deceptively easy. By that I mean that it is very easy to get something up and running and quickly see results. You can build an fps or racing game or something like slender in a few hours of work. However it will take some time to make an actual game. The core functionality gets you there quickly, but there is still a substantial time and learning investment if you are going to actually develop games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.