Search Unity

How does Unity make builds?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xroft666, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Xroft666

Xroft666

Hi everybody.
    I study at University for 3 years and my teachers told me to begin thinking about Diploma project. So my friend and I decided to make a game engine like Unity3d based on Open-Source components. The future production process seems clear, but one thing: I dont understand how does Unity3d make builds? MonoDevelop is used for compiling scripts into dlls. I want to ask where the builds come from? How does Unity3d create them?

Thanks a lot :)

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity does nothing but create assemblies from your scripts which then are used by the precompiled client.

3. Xroft666

Xroft666

Right, sounds pretty cool, but not understandable. I understand that there everything had been compilded long years ago :) But how does Unity make final project build? As I understand: there is a pack of dlls, like physic, graphic, audio with their functions etc. In engine there are scripts, which initialize the components. User's scripts are being assemblied into dlls too. And the last step: how does it create the main EXE file with resourses?

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

It doesn't at all.
    The exe and all the unmanaged DLL are omni present in precompiled form and are just copied over from the Unity editor install folder.

5. Xroft666

Xroft666

Alright, I found the exe in the Editor folder. Now, I think, I understand how it works. Thanks, dreamora