Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How does Unity handle Large scenes/level (or how to go with it)

Discussion in 'Unity Reflect' started by drulz, Dec 14, 2020.

1. drulz

drulz

Hi we are planning to make a truck delivery game but with a huge city level more or less similar or atleast smaller than GTA, but it will be a city and sometimes deliver across city.
    How to go with this? As I know modelling a huge 3D level and loaded it all together eats up RAM and GPU memory as well as slow (rendering multiple polygon).
    Does Unity implements some sort of Octree/Quadtree or optimization explicitly or something, or how should it work?
    like say for example in GTA (I know they are using their own engine), where you can go on top a certain mountain and can still see the buildings from a far though with less poly (thru mipmaps or LOD) but still am wondering how to go about this in Unity.

Any advice?

2. smcilh

smcilh

Unity Technologies

Hello @drulz,
    The AEC forum is for application designed w/ and around using unity Reflect, where reflect has a native solution around streaming assets, it's not really appropriate for solving this problem. Currently the solution provided is tied closely to streaming data from our Reflect servers.

You would want to source information about streaming assets, and large worlds from one of the Game Development dedicated sub-forums, you may find some of the elements we used to implement our solution helpful, but there is likely better tutorials and documentation available then reverse engineering our viewer.

I've generally seen asset streaming, and chunking the world into scenes used as solutions for this problem.

Good luck.