Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How does the quality of 2020.2 feel?

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by iamarugin, Dec 3, 2020.

1. iamarugin

iamarugin

For some reason, usually Unity Editor became worse toward the end of TECH cycle in my experience. This happend twice with 2018.3 and 2019.3 versions (while .2 and .1 were pretty good). Terrible perfomance, lots of crashes, broken functionality and other issues. Even worse, a lot of problems remains even in LTS versions, that came after that.
    I started using 2019.3 since b3 up to LTS version and it was so bad, that I will never participate in any beta testing and don't want to update to the next Unity version until at least 10 patch versions come out.
    Yet again, 2020.1 feels and works quite well (even it is a TECH release).
    So, the question is, how does the 2020.2 feels compared to 2020.1 for you?

deus0 likes this.
  2. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

I'm using b13 currently since b6or7, I entirely skipped 2020.1 not because of performance but because of lack of desired features (mostly URP). I remember couple of bugs and some package issues which since it's fixed.
    It runs smoothly for me but might be depending on project's needs (mine is quite light in features currently).

deus0, phobos2077 and iamarugin like this.
  3. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

Both stability and usability is down considerably.
    And I'm getting that feedback from the entire team.
    (We are aiming to land the project at 2020.3 LTS so I decided to upgrade relatively early so we have more time finding and fixing issues)

Of the past versions you mentioned 2018.3 was stable for us, in fact more stable then any other version since.
    2019.3 on the other hand... Let's just say the new Asset pipeline is not a success story.

Marc-Saubion, deus0, koirat and 3 others like this.
  4. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

And now the Windows build is crashing on startup with beta 14...

5. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

So we use beta 13 because beta 14 has a blocker bug in Burst/DSPGraph (I have another thread for that)

It takes 2-3 attempts on average to even START the editor.

I get the cannot load layout on about 1/3 of the times. Quitting and restarting works (no need to reset the layout)...

Then sometimes only the "There's a new Unity version" window shows up, the main window doesn't appear. Killing from the taskbar and restarting the editor usually works.

deus0 and koirat like this.
  6. iamarugin

iamarugin

7. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

For me, it's a lot better than 2019.X, but maybe it's because I'm starting a new project and have a lot of stuff in my live ones so I did not trip any edge cases.

8. jdtec

jdtec

Feels a bit smoother to use sometimes in the interface compared to 2019.3+. It feels like it's improving, although, I miss the significantly faster enter playmode with script changes that 2019.2 with the old asset database had. Hopefully they can do something about that soon.

Crashes quite a lot, especially opening/closing scenes/subscenes in the editor. Hmm still its usable for me if I am careful and do the same things, avoid certain things, eg. don't try to build whilst have a build config selected in the inspector.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  9. Imakhiil

Imakhiil

I've been having very cryptic crashes after upgrading from 2019.3 too. The editor for my specific project also uses twice as much RAM as it did on 2019.3.

10. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

That's worrying though. Did you run profiler on both to figure out why?

11. Imakhiil

Imakhiil

If you're referring to memory use -- I haven't. It was on the same commit as 2019.3 so I don't think it was my fault and I have enough RAM to just ignore it (it jumped from 950 megs to 1900 megs).
    I may inspect it in more detail later

12. deus0

deus0

2020.2 is completely broken. I'm using Hybrid Renderer 0.8.0 with URP 8.3.1 and shadergraph materials. Nothing shows and when I switched to the default shaders, colours are all weird.
    Camera is broken too as I use RenderPipelineManager.beginCameraRendering to set the camera position for an entity's transform.
    Also if i update URP, it uses the new Entities packages. Which are completely broken as Parallel schedules don't work...
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/error-when-using-raycast-in-parallelfor.997742/
    It's a true nightmare. I've been trying betas and alphas for many years but this year has been a typical 2020 lol.
    Edit: I got rendering works by switching to unlit for all my shadergraphs. Cameras still lagging though, will need another way besides above mentioned hook to update camera positions before they render (to synch them with my entities).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  13. iamarugin

iamarugin

Well, I tried 2020.2 and the story repeated. Until 2021.1 then.

deus0 likes this.