Search Unity

How does one make a square brush/straight path

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by trickyspark, Jan 18, 2010.

1. trickyspark

trickyspark

I was unsure what forum to put this in, so I took a guess.

If you've ever used Microsoft Paint, Photoshop, or something similar, then you know holding shift lets you draw a straight line when drawing a line.

I've taken a photo of the street surface, named it asphalt.jpg, put it as 256x256, and imported into unity. I added it to the textures you can paint the terrain with.

I can indeed paint the asphalt fine, but I cannot seem to draw a perfectly straight line, as none of the brushes I see have a straight edge. I doubt if I could paint it THAT straight if I had a square brush as it seems a bit hard to draw a line only in one direction.

Is there a command to paint only in a certain direction? Like Shift + Left Click while painting or something? Is there a way to design your own brush shape, square for example?

2. trickyspark

trickyspark

Really annoying trying to paint a road or sidewalk on the terrain, any tips for doing this?

It seems no matter how slow and carefully I move the mouse I just can't paint a straight line more than a few meters, especially if I need to reposition the mouse.

3. Tom163

Tom163

Use a painting app to create or modify the splatmap and then import the splatmap into Unity. The painting tools in the terrain editor are very primitive.

4. trickyspark

trickyspark

:( , so sadly no way to really paint a perfectly straght angle except a square brush and a prayer.

Maybe they'll add that in 3.0, and the ability to have negative terrain elevation.

:idea: Would be so nice to hold Shift + left click and just draw a line perfectly. :idea:

5. mr_blahblah

mr_blahblah

Necro!

Been searching high and low for a way to simple paint terrain height along a straight line. Unity already features snap settings for game objects - I'd happily pay for a way to 'snap' the cursor along a set axis using Ctrl-LMB....

jakob997 likes this.