Search Unity

How does DOTS fit in with the SRP?

Discussion in 'Data Oriented Technology Stack' started by DMeville, Jul 9, 2019.

1. DMeville

DMeville

Is it planned to allow DOTS to work with the LWRP/HDRP, or will DOTS always use it's own "special" renderer?
    I know it's probably early as HDRP and DOTS are both still in the works, but is there any information or roadmaps on this?

I'm considering starting to upgrade my project to use HDRP soon, but I'd also like to take advantage of DOTS and the hybrid renderer to render a huge amount of objects, but I don't really want to convert my project to a new renderer and materials twice, so I'm wondering if there's any overlap here.

Just wondering if theres any info on this, searched the forum and didn't seem to find anything.

2. tertle

tertle

They both worth together fine already.

Hybrid renderer is just a layer above srp.

3. DMeville

DMeville

Oh, really?! If this is true I feel very silly!

So I can convert everything to HDRP with HDRP materials, import the hybrid renderer package, and entities with those materials will be rendered following the settings the HDRP profile?

Edit: Working on putting together a test for this, once I'm done stumbling through setting this up I'll post if this works.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  4. tertle

tertle

Give it a shot. Create a HDRP cube and test it out. It should work fine*

* haven't tested HDRP in a few months

5. DMeville

DMeville

Thanks @tertle, I put a test together like you suggested and you were absolutely right! I feel quite silly now, I'm not sure why I assumed the hybrid rendered was it's own standalone thing that didn't work with anything else, but it being a layer above the SRP makes a lot of sense and was how I was hoping it would work, but I guess I didn't realize it ALREADY worked like this.

Very cool!

voteprolifenow1984 likes this.
unityunity