Search Unity

How does commercial licensing work for Havok and Unity Pro built games?

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by testmang00, May 3, 2020.

1. testmang00

testmang00

I read the havok unity license: https://www.havok.com/havok-for-unity-license-1-0/

and I am a little confused. I know to develop with it, the costs are:
    (https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.havok.physics@0.1/manual/licensing.html)
    • Unity Personal: Free to use.
    • Unity Plus: Free to use.
    • Unity Pro: Havok Physics for Unity subscription is required, available from the Unity Asset Store.
    so, pro cost is 200$ anual.

However, from my understanding of the havok unity license, if you used pro to ship a game, and it features havok, and you cancel your license by not paying when the time comes, you also must remove all copies of your game for sale until you pay the continued use licensing fees, correct?

2. steveeHavok

steveeHavok

The fee is a development fee. A built game contains no license check of Havok Physics for Unity, and released games are not predicated on the developer still having a license. If you are still developing the game post initial release, its likely you'd still want an active license but you won't have to remove any copy of an already released game.

Note this line from the manual:
    Note that the runtime features are always unlocked for standalone applications that have been built from Unity. Standalone applications do not require an Internet connection for Havok Physics for Unity to function.

and from section 3.1 of the Havok for Unity license
    ...limited license to install and use the Product at Licensee’s premises only for purposes of developing a commercial application that uses and incorporates the Havok Physics Engine, and to distribute the Software solely to the limited extent it is embedded in such application.

To potential help clarification, can I ask which section of the license agreement suggested you would need to remove copies of your game?

Cynicat likes this.