Search Unity

How does Addressables work with LOD?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by RecursiveFrog, Jan 30, 2019.

1. RecursiveFrog

RecursiveFrog

I'm considering my options for a game intended for PC and Switch, and I feel that most of my characters won't need a detailed model most of the time. However, there may be frequent instances where the camera does a close-up on a character and you'd want to see a more detailed model / texture set as the camera zooms in.

If I use Addressables to create prefabs for my GameObjects that contain models, do the addressables know to pull in all the appropriate LOD models? For that matter, how many models at what detail is it reasonable to hold onto in the Switch's memory, even if you're not planning to render it, either based on LOD or if it's just not Active in the heirarchy?

ilyes-garifullin likes this.
  2. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

Likely not. The LOD Group will create a dependency any when you load the prefab all dependencies will be loaded with it.

3. alexrau

alexrau

I was just about to post exactly the same question.
    Was wondering if the each LOD group member should be a different addressable so that it asyncs loads (via addressables) a different object (resolution) as they are move between groups.
    Guess I could run some tests and see how it is working, seems like LOD group is not editable script so can't see the internals of how/what it is doing.

4. JasperCiti

JasperCiti

@alexrau I would like to know what you found? Would you care to share with us and what you decided to do?

YourToolsDeveloper likes this.