Search Unity

How does Addessables track non-gameobject assets?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by jayatubi, Jan 14, 2019.

1. jayatubi

jayatubi

These two interfaces `Addressables.Instantiate` and `Addressables.ReleaseIntance` would auto increases or decrease the reference count of the gameobjects. But how about the non-gameobject assets such as textures or meshes? Should I manually manage the reference count for them?

JesOb and MNNoxMortem like this.
  2. unity_bill

unity_bill

I'm not exactly sure what workflow you're asking about...
    1. you call Addressables.Instantiate on a texture. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so I'm guessing that's not it.
    2. you call Addressables.LoadAsset on a texture. Here you'd just call ReleaseAsset to unload.
    3. you call Addressables.Instantiate on a prefab that references a texture. In this case, Addressables tracks dependencies, and you can just release the prefab for things to get cleaned up properly.

3. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

For us it would be
    • Add something unity agnostic to an adressable asset group (e..g *.json)
    • Add scriptable object *.asset on (This is likely covered by Adressable.LoadAsset - haven't tested it)

4. unity_bill

unity_bill

to be clear, you always pair your load/release, and with the next release we'll have a much more thorough doc covering this. Short version is Instantiate pairs with ReleaseInstance, LoadAsset pairs with ReleaseAsset.

Just a quick note for your items... a) you don't instantiate .json, you load it, and read it (AFAIK). b) while you can instantiate a scriptable object (and pair that with a ReleaseInstance) there isn't a ton of value to doing that over just a Load/ReleaseAsset (but do it whichever way makes you happy)

5. M_R

M_R

if you write to the ScriptableObject at runtime, using Instantiate will prevent the changes to get saved on disk / pollute version control

6. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@unity_bill that was what I meant :) Just meant to include such files in a bundle.