Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct here to familiarize yourself with the rules and how to post constructively.

2. Unity 2022.1 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your project's performance with our new guide on profiling in Unity.
    Dismiss Notice

How does a Unity Team member join my plastic project?

Discussion in 'Plastic SCM' started by Valorware, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Valorware

Valorware

Hi, I'm using Plastic GLUON mode for a Unity Project after disabling collab.

I have the project ready and working on my main team member account, and I submitted a big check in for all the files.

However - how does another Team member acess this build from another machine?? We have created a blank project and we have got to the point where they can see the repository and check in, but there doesn't seem to any way to force download that build's files - so we are just stuck with an empty project with seemingly no way to download the build from plastic.

Any advice please? Thank you

2. croquer

croquer

Unity Technologies

Hi @Valorware!

I'm a little confused, you said "I submitted a big check in for all the files.". Are you referring to the Unity project files or the build? Is the build also added to the repository?

You also said "We have created a blank project and we have got to the point where they can see the repository and check in" and I would like to know if your coworker is using the same repository you used for the big checkin or if it's a new, and empty one. If it's a new one your coworker needs to connect to your same repo to get the project files and the build.

I'm wondering if we can schedule a fast call to talk about it. Please DM me with your timezone and availability.

3. Valorware

Valorware

The Unity project files (i.e, assets folder and all subfolders)

Same repository

"your coworker needs to connect to your same repo to get the project files and the build." - that's what I'm trying to achieve - they are indeed connecting to the same repo, they can see the changesets - but how exactly do they "get the project files and build" is what we are struggling with - as there doesn't seem to be a download button or anything ?

I've DM'd you my availablity for a call if it's not easy to answer the above^ Thanks a lot

Or even just a step-by-step guide or link on how to correctly do this - as we couldn't find anything explaining the process of onboarding team members AND syncing the project

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  4. Valorware

Valorware

Any help on this would be appreciated, thank you!

5. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

There's the update button, however before you can update the workspace you need to select "Configure" and then check all folders (or simply click the root folder until all are selected). This tells Gluon that you actually want to sync the entire tree, because it also supports partial checkout, which is enabled by default to support extremely large projects. Not the most newcomer friendly decision, but probably a life saver if you work for a big company and only want to download a few image assets for example.

See the guide for a complete walkthrough: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/gluon/plastic-scm-version-control-gluon-guide

Especially the part about configuring the workspace:

upload_2021-11-5_15-11-36.png

Valorware likes this.
  6. croquer

croquer

Unity Technologies

Thanks @Xarbrough, that is if you use Gluon. A nice minimalistic GUI designed for Artists.

If you use the regular Plastic SCM GUI, then you jsut need to press the "Update" button at the "Workspace Explorer" view:
    upload_2021-11-8_10-19-54.png

That will bring everything to your working copy.

Valorware likes this.
  7. Valorware

Valorware

Thanks a lot Xarbrough and Croquer, after this help we've managed to get all setup and running. Thanks!

unityunity