Search Unity

Question how does a joint act on an object that is connected to the connectedBody?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by meiru, May 4, 2023.

1. meiru

meiru

Its a theoritical question to understand the possibilities of the system. So... no need to answer, but in case you are interested in such types of questions, then I would appreciate to hear what you know or think about it.

Lets assume I have a ConfigurableJoint between Rigidbody A and Rigidbody B. The mass of A is 1, the mass of B is 3.
    Lets now say I want to build an object C that sits in between those 2 objects (just for understanding it) and the physical effects should remain the same for A and B. Can I do this?

Options I see would be -> C has the same mass as B and is attached to B with a FixedJoint (B and C have the same position). Would this work? What if C doesn't have the same mass? E.g. only a tiny mass... 0.000001 ?? Would it still work, given that we connect it to B with a FixedJoint? Does it have the same effect on A (now connected via the ConfigurableJoint to C) or is the force applied to A different?

Is there a configuration that could achieve what I want? (and, as I said, currently I'm only trying to understand the options that the system provides me... there's no practical case yet) ... I think, that bringing in new mass would always modify the behaviour. But... what if I split up the mass of B and set it half into B, half into C. Would the joint from A to C now behave like the one from A to B in the old scene? Does the solver directly calculate with the combined mass of those 2 objects? Or not really?... or delayed or just approximative?