Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter the 2020.2 Beta Sweepstakes for a chance to win an Oculus Quest 2.
    Dismiss Notice

Tile Map How do you ... use tilemap?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by laurentlavigne, Aug 28, 2016.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Sometimes the brush button paints the selected asset, other times it does nothing.
    I discovered the padlock was locked this one time, what is that for?
    What are these transform numbers in the tile asset?
    Where do you actually paint? brush in the scene view does nothing.
    What interface do i use to define how the tiles interconnect?

2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I know why it's so confusing: the tilemap palette is completely inconsistent with the rest of Unity.

To solve confusion, you need to move the tools to the selected tilemap inspector, like collider and terrain. Have palette float on top of scene view like other unity components.
    Also add visual feedback when the tilemap palette is locked - graying out the background is standard practice and will make the available tiles pop out.
    In the tilemap palette the click drag behavior needs to be carified, maybe add a bucket showing the brush in the tool palette (the one that should be over scene view), click a tilset needs to highlight the linked asset - again, standard.

Once I got going it's quite nice.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

^^^
    Or replicate Super Tilemap Editor, you'll eventually do that anyway - re: NGUI and uGUI

4. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback. We're reworking the tilemap palette and will be out next preview.

Could you elaborate on this
    Didn't quite get it.

Its there but not obvious - rework of the palette includes some UX improvements as well. For now, its really a placeholder. Its the Expander icon (Arrow/Triangle) right next to the Lock icon on the palette. It's works like a toggle, on/off. Default is off, click it on and selecting any tile on the palette will highlight the source tile asset in the Project.
    Sorry, I think I left it out of the quickstart docs.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

You're trying to be too clever and pack too much into a small interface, make the buttons ugly and clear so we can evaluate the functionalities... and why a toggle for a standard function?

Click drag has many functions: click on a tile and move it, draw a selection rectangle to capture a brush, draw a selection rectabgle to copy/paste - that's clearly too much. If you add a brush bucket, at least I know what I'm doing if the bucket updates in real time, meaning as i drag the selection rectangle the bucket changes.

6. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Unity Technologies

Thanks. I understand what you mean now. Something to be considered.

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

have you used Super Tilemap?

8. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Unity Technologies

Yes, I have checked out Super Tilemap. :)

unityunity