Search Unity

Other How do you teach VR in the classroom

Discussion in 'VR' started by thestudy, Dec 13, 2021.

1. thestudy

thestudy

Hello,

This is for anyone attempting to teach programming VR projects to students.

What are the challenges you see in teaching VR specifically?

What often gets skipped or repeated too often?

What projects were effective/ineffective?

Why am I asking? I'm in the process of putting together a research project for determining the best practices for teaching VR and hopefully develop a complete course package available for professors using that research. I'm focusing on undergraduate education, but information about other environments would be appreciated as well.

If you would be interested in the developing course package, which will be tested with actual students, just let me know.

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

Tbh, there is not much difference between VR and regular gaming for the programming, so begin with a simple 3d platformer or something.
    The biggest difference is the perspective and design. If the mechanic can also work outside of VR, why make a VR game around it. If a simple mechanic is polished in VR, it can be a great game such as job simulator.
    Make sure they play enough vr games, even if it's just 5 minutes at a time.

The actual difference for development is that there is actual interaction with the world, so you will use vector3 instead of vector2 for positional data etc. This can be some getting used to, but luckily XR Interaction Toolkit is getting better and better, so that's not much of an issue. Just get the basics down of XRIT and you should be fine for the rest if you can make 'normal' games. Just make a lot of small experiments and see what works