Search Unity

How do you setup pre-orders for your games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dtg108, Jul 15, 2013.

1. dtg108

dtg108

Hey, we're looking at ways to setup pre-orders for our game with an upcoming BETA, I was wondering how you guys do it.

2. Demigiant

Demigiant

If with pre-orders you mean pre-release (meaning players can immediately download and play the beta), GamersGate does something like that with indie games. Same thing for the Humble Store, though it just gives you sale gadgets to place in your website (I'm pre-releasing my game Goscurry like that since a few days, so here's an example :p).

3. voltage

voltage

Your game Goscurry would piss me off. I love it. Very nice concept.

4. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ahaha thank you voltage! :D

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Is it possible to get on the Humble store yet or is it still all exclusive and whatnot? (If so congratz on getting in :))

6. Demigiant

Demigiant

Uhm, thinking about it, I have no idea :p They contacted me directly after I got some good reviews of the demo, so maybe it's still invite-only (in which case I apologize, because now it seems I was boasting :D).

7. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Uhmmm, Start a Kickstarter page? :D

8. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

All you need is some kind of coupon, I guess you could use sellbox though it wouldnt be the greatest way to do it.

9. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Seriously, Kickstarter is how people do it nowadays, its effectively a PRE-ORDER SITE.

10. drewradley

drewradley

What's the minimum goal you can ask for on KS?

11. Demigiant

Demigiant

Too bad Kickstarter is not open to the world :p The rest of us has Indiegogo, but it's not the same thing.

12. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

you could do it privately at your own site. Pirate of the New Horizon, made with Unity does just that. they offer bonuses and extras for pre orders too. http://www.piratesofnewhorizons.com/

you could even make a pre-order app, and then update it to the full game once its out maybe.

13. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Not sure, but last I recalled - that 9 year old girl who supposely making a RPG to spite her brothers set a minimum funding target of $829. That's the lowest I have heard so far.

14. ScottyB

ScottyB

You can set whatever you want I believe. Here is one that was successful with a $1 funding target: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/551129138/energy-hook-0

Part of the allure of Kickstarter though is the minimum funding goals as it forces a team/person to ask for an amount and if they aren't able to get it, they probably won't be able to succeed at their project. There is a problem with some unknown person coming along and just saying "I have an idea for a game and now I want your money and any amount will do. I promise that no matter how tiny the amount of money I receive, I'll be able to finish a game on that amount. Promise!" The guy behind Energy Hook had a section dedicated to why he set a limit of $1 to try and earn back the trust inherent with a higher set goal.

15. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

The only people that can use kickstarter are those from the US and UK, or have a bank account in those countries.

16. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

DTG, I don't mean to be mean. But I don't think you guys are ready to set up pre-orders unless you're 110% positive you can fulfil everyone.

I mean, you have default GUI in your game, I watched the latest video, sounds aren't very good. Camera bobbing makes me sick. Animations are sloppy and weird. Everything is jerky as hell, reminds me of a project Ruin Online on the old Torque forums.

Everything needs tons and tons of work before even considering pre-orders.