Search Unity

1. Going to #UniteBerlin? Bring a buddy & get 25% off the 2nd ticket! More info here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Famed game designer and creator of The Sims, SimCIty, and Spore is looking for a 3D artist to join their team. Join the challenge.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.4 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We've opened a new World Building sub-forum to faciltate all your world building discussions! Drop in and ask any ProBuilder, ProGrids, or PolyBrush questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you organize your project to reduce its complexity and size?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rod-Galvao, Apr 13, 2018 at 8:22 PM.

1. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Hello there,

You just bought a lot of assets and now you want to put them together to create your game.
    But you end with 50+ gigabytes of assets like SFXes, musics, animations, textures, models etc.
    If you put everything on a single project Unity takes ages to import, search assets or compile/build the game.

How do you organize so much data and complexity?
    Also, how do you share this mammoth with your team? Specially with those who don't need to deal with code or libraries, like artists.

I thought about separating art assets to a "prefab factory project" and bring the prefabs, using unitypackages, to the main project after that.

I also thought about a solution like Projeny but it deals with symbolic links and may not be versionable.

What is the best approach? What do you suggest instead?

Regards,
    R.

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi,

In a large project, use AssetBundles and DLLs. Make one or more code projects that compile to DLL(s) in your main project. Similarly, make any number of art projects that generate AssetBundles in your main project.

This way you can make your main project as small as a single "boot" scene with some DLLs and AssetBundles.

Schell Games' Unite presentation (slides here) was what sold me on this approach.

Kiwasi, Mauri, Rod-Galvao and 3 others like this.
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

This is a bit beyond my knowledge, but assuming some of these assets you purchased are tools that generate content, you can leave those in a separate project, use them to produce the assets you need, and then export the final result (along with any dependencies).

Example 1 : You use Gaia to make a terrain with splat maps. Export the terrain and maps, along with the necessary textures, to your final project.

Example 2 : You have a huge library of textures and vegetation models and materials. You want them all there to pick and choose from, but once you have played around enough to find your bare essentials, you only export those to your level builder project (which may be separated from your prototype mechanics project, and so on).

Pretty obvious and I think you are already doing this, but maybe it'll help.

Rod-Galvao likes this.
  4. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Thanks.
    Do you automate the bundle's generation somehow?

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Yes, but I use a tool that's unfortunately deprecated and no longer available. If you search the Asset Store for "assetbundle" you can find a number of tools to help manage assetbundles.

Rod-Galvao likes this.
  6. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Was it uTomate?
    Do you have a suggestion?

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

Yes.

I don't have personal experience with any of the others on the store. Hopefully their reviews will help you make a good decision.

8. Damien-Delmarle

Damien-Delmarle