Search Unity

How do you make money as a freelance game developer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stranger-Games, Jul 5, 2018.

1. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The effect is the same whether we agree with them or not.

Kiwasi and QFSW like this.
  2. QFSW

QFSW

This. As a freelancer, the reasons for why is irrelevant

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Stranger-Games It would definitely be a good idea to spell and grammar check your profile on your website. It seems you're not a native English speaker (I just did a cursory look through the site) but proper spelling and grammar looks more professional! Good luck!
    That's not hyperbole is it? Or at least semi-so? Worrisome for myself... I've stopped progress on my main project (ya know the one...) because progress was glacial. The main issue being lack of planning/clear direction for the project so I wasn't sure what to implement. When I got to learning about AI/bots I kinda lost steam too.

I really need to put in more work. I tend to only work on game "when I feel like it", but more often than not that's at least once or twice a day for a few hours. I feel confident that I could put slap some code together to create a simple project, but I guess the real question is how fast? A lot of the times I get stuck and give up or do the opposite and bang my head against a wall attempting to solve it.

There's a quote I've read: "Inspiration is for amateurs, the rest of us get to work". Really good advice. This thread is loaded with good advice!

What thoughts do we have on forming a corporation or LLC to make games? That's something I've been thinking about (for the future...) but I don't know just how viable it is...

Stranger-Games likes this.
  4. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Thanks for pointing that out!

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Stranger-Games and Deleted User like this.
  6. Rich_A

Rich_A

If you're worried about Unity's support for freelancing jobs via Unity Connect (rightly so), the solution is to use community platforms, which right now is www.gamejobforum.com and reddit.com/r/gamedevclassifieds. Post to each and cross-reference them.

DBarlok and Stranger-Games like this.
  7. nawash

nawash

Exactly what I think as well.
    I'm actually targeting this type of companies.
    I've already done it the manufactured goods with Procter and Gamble, in the industry/PLM with Siemens and it's a real pleasure to work with that kind of companies.

But it's actually hard to find those kind of projects. @ippdev if you're looking to team up or need additional staff for project, let me know. I did a couple of GIS related code and I'm currently wondering about a GIS/BIM/VR convergence, all that reading the source (3D and tabular) data in realtime from the GIS/BIM packages file formats without file conversion. (hoping to find loopholes in https://unity.com/solutions/aec :) )

8. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

I didn't even know that you could actually freelance as game dev alone...
    I think it is much easier if you are a software developer in general and doing games is a part of your skills. Usually companies doing business software pay a lot of more than the game industry. So my advice is that you should not concentrate on doing games alone. As a C# senior developer you can get easya a lot of freelance jobs. Does it really matter so much if you code for example a inventory system for a rpg or a program where people can do their tax with?
    Sure the one is perhaps more fun but for the start doing differnet jobs could help to pay the rent:)
    If you can not code yourself i think it is even harder to get something as a game dev. I know positions like game artist, story writer, programmer etc. but game dev (what does that even mean :p)?

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Reasons are not irrelevant if you want to change the way things are