Search Unity

How do you make lights work?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by faulknordonald, Sep 24, 2022.

1. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

Pretty generalized question. And I've taken the courses necessary about lighting, but I must have messed up a setting. My lights aren't doing anything. And... my scene should be completely dark, but isn't.

upload_2022-9-24_10-50-6.png

This red light is the ONLY light in my scene. Since the light isn't doing anything, my scene should be completely dark.

Effect the above image is expected to show:
    Scene completely dark, except a little red where the light points to.

I have skybox set to none and ambient color set to black. No lights in the scene except the one showing in the picture above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Franco_Voisard

Franco_Voisard

If you marked the light as baked. Probably you need to go to Window -> Rendering -> Lighting Settings and Bake your lights.

In order to be baked the objects needs to be marked as static. You can do this by changing the check in the right upper side in the inspector view.

Attached Files:

3. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

I changed my objects to static. My light is marked as baked now. But, perhaps it's the version of Unity I'm using (2020.3), I don't see light settings options that way. I have Window -> Rendering -> Lighting. Under the lighting window, there is an option for New Lighting Settings, but under there, it's just settings. No option to "bake".

4. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

I am using Universal Render Pipeline. Not sure if that would affect anything lighting related. I'm new to Universal Render Pipeline.

5. Franco_Voisard

Franco_Voisard

Can you show me your light setup?
    Are you applying a specific shader to the objects? Maybe if you are using a custom shader it does not allow lighting.

6. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

7. faulknordonald

faulknordonald

Here's one of the objects:
    upload_2022-9-25_10-3-10.png

8. Franco_Voisard

Franco_Voisard

Ok ok, I see that Lighting is disabled in your scene view. Please, check if the light bulb is enabled.
    Also if you are using baked light you need to press de Generate Lighting button in order to bake the scene.

Try this and let me know if it solved your problem.

Attached Files: