Search Unity

How do you make Grapple moves? (NOT A GRAPPLE HOOK)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by mikkuelle, Dec 28, 2020.

1. mikkuelle

mikkuelle

Any way to do Grapple, lift and throw moves in UNITY? other than UFE theres NOTHING giving any sort of tutorial for doing this.

2. Cevalus

Cevalus

I'd like to know how to do this as well. Something along the lines of a grapple in virtua fighter or a dark souls backstab:

In essence, they consist of a sequence of animations and the gameobject positions are modified during the sequence.

I haven't found an easy way to do this without some very convoluted script. I've looked into timelines, but I'm not sure it's well suited for the task either. It seems more geared towards cutscenes than animating gameplay action sequences.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  3. mikkuelle

mikkuelle

Well I'm determined to figure this out. UFE has implemented throws perfectly. Issue is, UFE isnt as customizable as one would think or like it to be so the question remains, How to create Grapple/throw/wrestling style maneuvers in Unity?...So far, all I've been able to see in being made with Unity are Shooters and RPGs....Makes me wonder if the engine is even capable of anything else...

4. Cevalus

Cevalus

Hey, I wanted to respond since I finally managed to figure out how to do grapple moves in my game in an elegant manner. It's very simple. You use root motion.

I was having a hard time with this because my game doesn't use root motion for my animations. All animations are done individually for each character.

For grapple moves, instead of individual animations, you're going to have a pair of animations that are synched up with the root moving. I had to turn on root motion for these sequence of animations. This works surprisingly well. The drawback of this approach is that you have to turn off the physics of the game during the grapple animation. But I think it's a reasonable trade-off. Lots of games work this way including Dark Souls during backstab or riposte sequence in which your character is invulnerable.

Hope that helps.

5. mikkuelle

mikkuelle

I since given up on that but now Im very interested again. Could you tell or show me what you got? Maybe how you got it? I read a bunch of post about syncing animations but nothing about root motion or how to actually get things to sync. Seeing how you'll have to work with the engine, there aren't many people out there that can help seeing as how they don't have the Engine...I'm very deep into the design and build of my first game and it looks great. It'll be so much Awesome if I can get Grapples added in.

6. Cevalus

Cevalus

Here's a small video. Sorry for the quality. I don't have a recording app on my computer.

Essentially, you have to sync up the animations. Don't do that in unity. It's very cumbersome. You have to sync up the animations externally your in modeling app (blender or whatever else you're using). You have to move the root of your rig during the animation. Take note of the starting distance of your rigs in your modeling app.

When you play the animations in unity, you play them both at the same time. You before you play them, you move each character to its starting position. You can use a tweening addon for that. If the move is really small, it's not going to be noticeable. Some games use a camera cut or blend to mask the move. I'm planning on doing that as well to add some dramatic effects (check out the heat actions in Yakuza).

Let me know if that helps.

7. mikkuelle

mikkuelle

Awesome. Looking more into it now!

8. decoyocelot

decoyocelot

hi pleae do you get position offset wjen syncing the animations ? my animations looks good in blender but in UFE for unity they get constant position offset problem making the characters not sync . both animations have root motion.

any tip would be appreciated , thanks

9. Cevalus

Cevalus

If it's synced properly, you don't have to do anything else while the animations are playing.

Keep in mind the following:

1. If the animations are designed to start at the same time, you have to sync them.
    2. You have to position your characters and make them face the appropriate direction before playing the animations. I recommend that you have both animations playing in blender at the same time to see if it syncs up correction and if everything looks good in blender. If it looks good in blender, it should look the same in Unity.
    3. Be careful with fade transitions. They can mess up your sync animations if you use root motion. I recommend that you make all fade transition to 0 at first to make sure your animations work properly before messing with that setting.