Search Unity

How do you make a good game concept?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Volt777, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Volt777

Volt777

I want to make a new game, but I have no idea what type or gameplay the game is going to have. Does anyone here know how to help me

2. Donniel_Lewis

Donniel_Lewis

You could always take inspiration from games that you like and your concept will develop over time.

The game I'm working on started off from inspiration from NeiR Gestalt and Drakengrad 3 and it developed into what it is now. It isn't anything like those games anymore but it is still inspired by them, and as time goes on more stories, games, game mechanics, and my own knowledge of game design change how i want my game to be.

Ryiah and YBtheS like this.
  3. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

1) Think of something fun.
    2) Execute it well.

On a more serious note, if you don't have an idea for a game start making mechanics you think are fun(platforming, shooting, whatever), practice your coding ability and see what emerges from it.

Ryiah, xVergilx and Antypodish like this.
  4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

you make 500 lousy ones first.

first idea that pops up, just do it. Post it up. Grin proudly. Bold creator! Receive feedback. Cry yourself to sleep. Eat food. Drink water. Repeat.

Kiwasi, Ryiah, Antypodish and 2 others like this.
  5. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Voodoo witch-craft.

6. Magician_Arcana

Magician_Arcana

What I've been doing lately is trying to iterate on design ideas presented in older games that I loved that have sorta been forgotten about. I feel enthusiastic about the game ideas I come up with as a result because they're games I would really wanna see made since not a lot of similar games exist.

For example, my current side project, which has slowly but surely becoming my main project, is Sonic Adventure inspired. A game I feel most game developers don't like to look towards for inspiration because a lot of people think it's aged poorly. I see a lot of potential in some of the design ideas presented in the Sonic Adventure games, so I'm trying to make a game that focuses on what people loved about those games so I can capture the spirit of what made them fun. So far I think it's coming along well based on the feedback I get at events I bring it to. It seems to feel familiar and nostalgic for a lot of people, but still fresh as there hasn't been a game like it for a while.

I have another game idea bouncing around in the back of my head that takes elements from Dark Cloud, Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life, and Ys VIII. I'll likely start working on that as my next side project once I get my current main project finished.

So I think looking at games you loved that you think were ignored or forgotten about, and thinking critically about what made them special to you will help you come up with original game ideas that you'll be enthusiastic about.

Jbs_GameZone likes this.
  7. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hello Volt, I'll leave my 2 cents on this

This new game is it your first game ? Have you made other games before ?
    If yes what genres were they, did you enjoyed developing them, were they played / appreciated by others ?
    If not, then you should first question the desire of making a game in the first place. Developing the game should not be the goal and choosing the idea / game type the means to get to it, it's actually vice-versa.

If you are just trying to gather know how and boost your skills then it doesn't really matter what you start with. There are tons of YT tutorials replicating every major simple game that went viral at one time. You can start from there.

Once you developed some skills, think about what games got you addicted in the past and choose something in that niche. Like W. Buffett said, life is too short to paint a painting you don't enjoy looking at.

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unless it is something extremely simple (and fast to make), it needs to be a game you are passionate about. Otherwise if you're spending 6+ months working on it you will eventually get discouraged while working on the not so fun parts of the game.

I have a list of games I want to build. While playing other games you'll come up with ideas on what you'd rather do in that game. Maybe you're playing Age of Empires II and you think "this game would be a lot of fun if it was in WW1 era with trenches, early tanks, air ships, etc." Then note that down somewhere, maybe develop that idea more, but have that in your list of ideas. When you want to start a project, if you don't know what to work on you refer to your list of ideas. Pick a few, develop the ideas more, scope them out a bit, research the current competition, etc.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    SparrowGS likes this.
  9. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

That's kinda what I do, I've got a list of a solid 5 that I'm pretty much always building on. I find it hard to think about the design of just a single game, I'd miss out on valuable random thoughts and besides I'd have to pretty much force it. Even S*** doesn't come out right if you force it.

Edit: I say 5, but really...

Joe-Censored likes this.
  10. dibdab

dibdab

take a concept.

two attributes/characters that have a behaviors/mechanics interacting between them.
    which creates conflict/task the game player has to go through/resolve with a win/lose outcome.

the two each have a certain objective.

example:
    1. postman and the dog. postman has to deliver mail, dog has to bite the postman.
    2. two competing task forces working on the arrest of dangerous criminals.
    3. crocodile and the secret agent.
    4. shark and the secret agent.
    5. skydiving to a boat, then going into parasailing. on the way down birds puncturing the parachute, being shot at from another boat, must reach island.
    6. dragons and firefighters.
    7. cat and mouse.
    8. build n destroy. assemble and detach. group and divide.
    9. cover n show. flash and dark and shade.

Advis91 and SparrowGS like this.
  11. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Croc V Dundee, 'nuff said.

Somebody make this, now.

12. lucernagame

lucernagame

I think #6 stands head and shoulders above the rest.

13. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Haha! I want to picture this so bad. "They called the man the crocodile hunger, however, he was never prepared for...ALLIGATORS!

SparrowGS likes this.
  14. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Stingrays!

Too soon?

15. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Final boss.

SparrowGS likes this.