Search Unity

How do you make a Cassete Tape player? C#

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by davisdonarts, Feb 12, 2018.

1. davisdonarts

davisdonarts

Hi I made a old tread about this topic, but I want to be more honest. I found out that you make anything happen is the person practices everyday. So far I remember how to move objects with C# by heart and a little bit the ball rolling script (Full version).I used unity for 3 years my whole portfolio is missing with prototype projects.

For now I want to practice to make a game where the character listens to the cassette tape player.

*Play cassette player mode while in normal mode like walking running and fighting.
    *Cassette pickup with different contents of voice overs, music and not sounds.
    *Inventory of tapes.
    *Insert tape and eject tape.

To me it's a dream project I always want.

The more you listen to theses tapes more godly powers you have to fight celestial beings who want you forget your a child of God. Yes it's a Christian game. But their is no shame, I am into spooky stuff and I want to make a spiritual Kingdoms in real life and digital life as well. This one is the Unspoken Kingdom it's always foggy night and lots of trees.

I call my game " The Unspoken Valley : The first Cassette Tape.

What do I do to start this project?
    And achieve all the scripts to make this a really good game?

2. methos5k

methos5k

It's a little unclear as to what your question is. How to start the whole game? How to do the things you listed?

Did I read it correctly that you've been using Unity for 3 years and have finished some movement & the rolling ball tutorial? If that's true, you probably want to practice some more.

You should start by making sure that you understand the basics of Unity and scripting. From there, get familiar with parts of the game you want to build. Break your problems down into more manageable pieces, and try to figure them out/build them 1 by 1.

I'm sorry, if there was a more concrete question that I overlooked, could you please repeat it?

3. davisdonarts

davisdonarts

I want to make a indie game where players listen to voice recordings. The more you listen the more powers you have. Like GTA series when you enter in car mode you listen to the radio. Only in this experiment is earning powers to defeat enemies. These monsters eat memoires until characters can't remember and die. Yes it does sound like the Book of the Dead, I planned this idea 2014 at college.

I call it The Unspoken Valley.

I like the idea of strangers in the game place tapes listening for clues.

My list for C#
    *TapePlayerMode
    *NormalMode
    *TapePickUp
    *PlayPauseForwardRewind
    *TapeInventory

The more I explain this the easier it gets. :D
    I guess practice and explanations is now a new discovery.
    I want to have help to make scripts so I can practice to be a programmer in C#.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm not really clear on what the fixation is about the tape player. You've asked advice for making this a good game, but I haven't seen you mention anything even vaguely game like. If your game is centered around listening to audio tracks over and over, that doesn't really seem to be a game at all. What's the game part of it?

Everything you've mentioned can be achieved with any simple music manager and item pick up scripts, where you just replace music with your tape contents.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I would suggest following a template or learn project that most closely mimicks the kind of game experience, and mod from there. Is there anything in the learn section to start from?

https://unity3d.com/learn

6. davisdonarts

davisdonarts

It's a fast pace action mystery game having new memories by deleting old memories that could haunt people in real life.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

That's what I'm talking about. "fast pace action mystery game" is all just fluff, that doesn't actually describe the gameplay, so I don't know how you expect anyone to be able to make suggestions on how to start developing it when you've only mentioned generalizations outside of this tape player mechanic.

If you said something like "its a 3rd person RPG" then at least someone could point you to some asset store assets to get you started.

8. davisdonarts

davisdonarts

Sadly I could find any, instead I found a free music player at the asset store. It looks useful to use.

9. davisdonarts

davisdonarts

For me more of an small golden action adventure nugget. To show players they are alone in the foggy forest of monsters who will eat people who need remember their calling.

10. methos5k

methos5k

I believe you will have to start with some smaller goals. For sure, you'll have to get used to using unity and be able to write some scripts. You found a music playing asset, that's good, but you'll have to work your way up to the game you're describing, I think.

Use some tutorial lessons that help you build on game play ideas that you may have, and see how it goes.

Start with the basics, always, and work your way up. That way, later when you're learning new things you will know what's being talked about (either in tutorials, and/or help on the forums). :)

11. davisdonarts

davisdonarts

Wow why keep forgetting Idea work my way up. I forgot about that. Hehe.

12. kdarius43

kdarius43

is this supposed to be a 2d side scroller with a limbo feel?

do you have any art direction or anything to use as a starting point?

13. davisdonarts

davisdonarts

I was thinking the world is 3D and the texture are mummy warp tape textures with a hint of purple glow or a lime green. Basically I want regular textures then layer it with mummy warp of 25% opacity.The genre i am thinking was thinking first person view. But i think 3rd person might be better. I will keep experimenting with this project. So far I am understanding more programming language than before. :)

14. kdarius43

kdarius43

Do you have anyone that is going to create the 3D assets for you? Just FYI if it your first game start simple otherwise you will get overwhelmed to quickly.

15. davisdonarts

davisdonarts

Right I have been in that phase a lot. My plan is to let all my small goal blend in with my other goals. I don't think I can make a big game by myself. It's about mastering the basic fundamentals of practice. The players want gameplay, fast pace action and story.
    No I don't have some one to help or even a team to help me out, sorry. My Planning is to blend my programming practices into smaller games and work my way up. :)