Search Unity

How do you install Visual Studio / 2018.1.0f2 on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by idunlop_oefun, May 7, 2018.

1. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

Separate issue (but worth mentioning); if you install Unity on an external drive it places the Visual Studio in an Applications folder on that drive and Unity can't find it by default.

My issue is that when I run Visual Studio I get a pop up:

could_not_launch_VS.png

Is this normal? Do I have to download / install this separate package? Also, it says I need version 5.2.0.171 or newer, but if I click the button and follow the link it takes me to a preview version which implies it's not stable. Further if I look at the stable VS version (it specifically says to use the VS channel) then it's version
    5.10.1.47 which is less than 5.2.0.171.

I can't find any documentation on this so I'm thinking it's a strange bug on my system, but thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has ran into this.

Thanks!

2. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

Am I the only one with this issue?

3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Not sure, but 5.10.1 is not less than 5.2.0. That's a "ten", not a "one point zero"

4. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

Oh, thanks - must have misread that.

I assume the general silence on this topic means that it normally doesn't require this step...

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I have never seen or heard of that dialog. If downloading Mono doesn't work, can you try installing VS on a local drive instead? Did you download VS as part of the Unity options during install?

6. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

It was installed as part of the Unity installer / selected option. I'll definitely try a re-install and post back here. Thanks.

7. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

A reinstall on the main drive fixed the issue. Thanks.