Search Unity

How do you guys take video of your projects?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NavpointSoftware, May 8, 2019.

1. NavpointSoftware

NavpointSoftware

Hi All,

Im finally close to finishing my first unity project (yay!) and now just pulling the marketing materials and hard testing for final bugs.

However this project is a mobile only affair, android only initially, and though I took a good promo video on desktop it had the mouse cursor in it :eek:

Im not sure how best to take video on my samsung Android, what apps to use etc...any suggestions?

Also what are you guys and gals using to do video editing? I don't particularly fancy paying (another) £20 a month for Adobe Premier.

Many thanks for your thoughts

John

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

For years I used aTubeCatcher to record videos on desktop.
    You have many options there for recording.

You probably still can record on desktop, simulating as if was on mobile, with some tweaking.

However, I don't know good free video editing alternative.
    I am open for suggestions ;)

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Open Broadcaster Software. I swear by it.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, this is a great general solution. If you happen to have a recent-ish nVidia GPU, the built-in recording capability is excellent.
    DaVinci Resolve 15 is free, so I recommend that. It's intended as a companion to their expensive hardware, but on its own it's a perfectly capable video editor. Go here and scroll aaaall the way down.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

This, plus the VirtualCam plugin (only works with the 32-bit release of OBS) which allows you to use the output of OBS as a webcam for programs like Skype. Great for when you need to show off your progress during a live communication.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Doesn't Skype have that by default? I was sure that it has.

Side note: Ugh. Skype. :p I'm not a fan of discord but it beats the competition!

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but the difference between Skype and OBS plus VirtualCam is a bit like the difference between Microsoft Paint and Photoshop. You can do basic screen sharing with Skype, but you can completely customize how it's handled with OBS.

angrypenguin and Deleted User like this.
  8. Run your application on the desktop in emulator and record it with whatever you want (OBS, Nvidia built-in stuff or whatever). I guess it can work, it worked for native app (disclaimer: I only developed for android once, never again, so I'm relying on common sense that it may work)

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

If you need direct recording from device Vysor is quite good. I can't remember if the free version lets you record screen or not.

Depending on your app you app you can probably run it in Unity editor at correct aspect/resolution and record there too using OBS or similar.

angrypenguin likes this.
  10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I think this is an approach I've used in the past. We made sure the Editor displayed what the game looked like and captured at a frame rate that target devices could match and went from there.

11. Meltdown

Meltdown

I use the built-in NVIDIA GeForce Experience software.