Search Unity

How do you download the FPS sample package???

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by Nosmo, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Nosmo

Nosmo

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

That second link you posted to the github has a "clone or download" button in green. If you hit that and select "download as zip" you can get the entire project that way. Then you extract that into a folder, and open the project in unity. (there may be other ways to get it, that is just one way)

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

This doesn't work as explained on the GitHub FPS Sample/Readme page: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/FPSSample/blob/master/README.md
    You must also install the latest Unity 3 beta version and GitHub.

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

5. So, what's the problem? Because if you can't communicate what is wrong, how would you think we can help?
    Also see @AnneSchmidt 's post and your second link. They're telling you how to download the package.

6. Mauri

Mauri

You'll need "git 1.8.2" (or newer) and "git-lfs" installed. It can be tricky at first (especially if you're new to this whole git thing), so do check this tutorial on GitHub and this Atlassian tutorial.

If you don't like that whole command line mess and want to use a GUI client instead, then give Sourcetree (comes bundled with Git LFS) or the official GitHub Desktop* client a try.

* You'll still need "git-lfs" installed for this; see Installing Git Large File Storage & Cloning a repository from GitHub to GitHub Desktop

shotoutgames, Lex4art and Nosmo like this.
  7. jso1980

jso1980

so unity can't be bothered to make this a simple download for people?

AggressiveMastery likes this.
  8. karstenv

karstenv

The reason for that is that is not a simple download.

AggressiveMastery likes this.
  9. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

The project is done/dead. Unity isnt bothered at all by this version, and this forum is historic.

The new sample, the DOTS one, is in Alpha 1, and they said they added it to the 2019 package manager (however, I downloaded it from get and shuved it in)

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/DOTSSample

Isaiah626 likes this.
  10. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

I do 'Like' your reply tho, jso

11. professionalONE

professionalONE

the "download zip file" way won't work for unity project example (also I need help)

git clone https://github.com/eddyedyt/FPSSample.git

this is the fps sample project by unity and it's just 60+ MB while downloading via zip method but, when it comes to cloning, It's almost 18GB So, first I tried zip method, opened project BUT THREW MANY ERRORS!!! then I decided on the challenging step! DOWNLOADING 18GB via cloning with GIT LFS Still, there are some doubts about a few things, that 1. GIT LFS is no longer(an issue popped up while cloning) 2. I'm a noob in the cloning arena 3. My 15 GB downloaded was gone on a powercut(oh what the.....what am I doing with my life...) any help or advice would be pretty much helpful

12. Isaiah626

Isaiah626

Does this sample require git LFS as well? I read the README.md but it doesn't mention it anywhere

13. Isaiah626

Isaiah626

I'm having a similar problem. I'm still a novice a t Git but I have it installed as well as git LFS and GitHub Desktop.
    I ran the command to install git LFS in my local directory for git repositories and once I hit clone for the FPSSample project it was working fine but I ran into some errors which are as follows.

Cloning into 'C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\GitHub\FPSSample'...
    remote: Enumerating objects: 4, done.
    remote: Counting objects: 100% (4/4), done.
    remote: Compressing objects: 100% (4/4), done.
    remote: Total 18659 (delta 0), reused 1 (delta 0), pack-reused 18655
    Receiving objects: 100% (18659/18659), 213.75 MiB | 408.00 KiB/s, done.
    Resolving deltas: 100% (9782/9782), done.
    Updating files: 100% (12731/12731), done.
    Downloading Assets/Textures/Environment/Props/Foliage/Grass_Alien_E/Grass_Alien_E_Albedo.tif (17 MB)
    Error downloading object: Assets/Textures/Environment/Props/Foliage/Grass_Alien_E/Grass_Alien_E_Albedo.tif (7d0465a): Smudge error: Error downloading Assets/Textures/Environment/Props/Foliage/Grass_Alien_E/Grass_Alien_E_Albedo.tif (7d0465ace3983b408b5744c94486f46a49e1619b3b0c31a34b4727ed0ecd5ae9): batch response: Post "https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/FPSSample.git/info/lfs/objects/batch": dial tcp: lookup github.com: no such host

Errors logged to C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\GitHub\FPSSample\.git\lfs\logs\20201110T150356.6339309.log
    Use `git lfs logs last` to view the log.
    error: external filter 'git-lfs filter-process' failed
    fatal: Assets/Textures/Environment/Props/Foliage/Grass_Alien_E/Grass_Alien_E_Albedo.tif: smudge filter lfs failed
    warning: Clone succeeded, but checkout failed.
    You can inspect what was checked out with 'git status'
    and retry with 'git restore --source=HEAD :/'

The total folder size is 20.1GB with 14,013 files and 3,878 folders; my assets folder alone is 9.86GB but the README.md stated that the whole git repository would be twice this size and that the assets folder itself is 18.6GB.

I ran this command 'git restore --source=HEAD :/' but gave the same errors.
    Did I misunderstand the instructions or am I missing something other than
    the Grass_Alien_E_Albedo.tif. from the log?