Search Unity

How do you decide a price for your assets?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Raven_Gothchild, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Raven_Gothchild

Raven_Gothchild

Hi,

I have some models, with textures and effects applied and saved as prefabs which I was thinking about selling on the Asset Store but I can't think how best to price them.

Does anyone have any tips or methods for pricing their assets on the Asset Store and how successful are the sales?

Thanks

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi,

Check pricing for comparable assets, and read reviews. If reviewers are writing that the asset is good but overpriced, consider pricing yours lower. If they're praising the low price over everything else, consider pricing yours higher.

The good news is that developers are always hungry for well-made assets. Don't try to undercut prices simply to race competitors to the bottom for sales. (And if you're thinking of charging less because your assets aren't at the quality that's already on the store, wait and build up your skills first. You're not going to get many sales on second-rate art, and you don't want to build a reputation for it.) You can generally charge more if you offer levels of detail for mobile and high end desktop versions.

Most developers will pay reasonable prices for good quality assets. That said, they're also savvy. You'll make most of your sales during a 24-Hour Sale or Madness Sale. As soon your assets are on the store, go to the publisher page and fill out the form to get on the list. Deeper discounts really do equate to much higher sales, so consider 85%.

Also, web demos and videos are very helpful. Prospective customers want to know that the assets will work well in Unity.

And good luck!

3. Raven_Gothchild

Raven_Gothchild

Thats great advice Tony, thanks. Finding a comparable price on the Asset Store is pretty difficult though, assets range from free to extortionate and its hard to judge the quality from the tiny icon. I hadn't thought of LODs though, so that might be a good idea, my assets are aimed at the desktop/console market generally but I can see the value in allowing for a range of devices.