Search Unity

How do you deal with the color differences between an LCD and an OLED screen? (Mobile)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yosefstudios, May 28, 2022.

1. yosefstudios

yosefstudios

So I have a Samsung S8, which has an OLED screen type, and my PC has a common LCD display. When I'm working on mobile, the color differences between my phone and my PC are tremendous...

I think the easiest way to solve this would be to use Unity Remote, although that requires you to be in Play Mode to see the differences.

Any particular method or workflow that you use in this situation? Maybe there is something better than my previous idea lol

2. You do not. You buy a decent monitor with good color display and you work on that. You leave the users' devices for the users to be color-accurate.

angrypenguin likes this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

You'd need to buy a decent display and possibly have it calibrated.

There's also a fairly small chance that there's a proper color profile for your display or that your display can be calibrated.

4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

In terms of color accuracy you cannot do much. There's a way too broad spectrum of devices and while you could correct colors in post processing individually per device, there's no reasonable way to let the user do it. Maybe just an OLED and LCD setting if you really want to.

If you develop a game that plays a lot with darkness, like horror games, you can however let the player calibrate that. Maybe you have seen an "adjust this slider until this text is just barely visible" popup in some game of that kind.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You need a decent calibrated display. People with crap phones or displays have to get what they pay for. The only exception is if you are developing for a unique case like Quest, but this will be replaced soon enough with a better display.

You CAN add brightness slighter that sort of mildly adjusts gamma as well so people can fiddle with a small range to squeeze a bit more visibility out of it, but often extra options are stress for end users.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

If your panel was not marketed as a color accurate display it's most likely not calibrated, and even if it was it needs to be recalibrated every once in a while. Of course calibration won't magically make a budget monitor display like a quality one but it will improve things.

7. neoshaman

neoshaman

Also there is a set of good design practice to deal with the color drift of the various screen, so yeah, you pick colors for an ideal screen but with those tips in mind, you can find those advice with google. Generally it's basically designing with enough contrast and readability in mind.

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That only shows how it appears on your phone. My phone will probably look quite different, as will most others. This isn't just LCD vs. OLED, every single screen shows colours differently.

Or however else they may want them to be. In a dark room I'll often turn the brightness down. If I'm outdoors the screen looks dim even at max brightness because it simply can't compete with the sun. Any screen with "dynamic contrast" will mess with the image as the image changes... and so on.

Even if a given screen is colour accurate it's important to realise that the environment and the viewers' eyes have a huge impact on how colours are perceived. So as @neoshaman says, when you're designing your visuals it's important to take those things into account and ensure that there's plenty of contrast and/or other readability aids to make sure things are communicated effectively.

NotaNaN likes this.