Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you deal with poor reviews that aren't your fault?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RLin, Dec 27, 2018.

1. RLin

RLin

Over time, I've received several one-star reviews on my Android game because people say the game won't install/download. The Google Play Store handles downloading and their device handles installation, so there's absolutely nothing I can change about my app to fix the issue. How do you guys handle reviews about issues that aren't fixable because they aren't your fault?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is normal. It's part of game development and typically you have to learn what triggers people to behave like this and the usual solution is avoiding people like this rating or even downloading your game. Do this by limiting devices from purchasing it, and funnelling user unhappiness -> feedback -> developer instead of rating. It's common knowledge.

Gaming communities have extremely toxic and immature users with widely varying demographics so your strategy is to design it out and generally make a better psychological experience. You only learn that stuff after a few games under your belt.

Not true. You disable access to devices that are too rubbish to run your game efficiently. What is it about your game that is causing the problem?

dogzerx2, xVergilx, Ryiah and 3 others like this.
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

You think that's bad. Imagine the losers who sit around for an entire afternoon to wax eloquently about why your game is this epitome of everything that is wrong with humanity. (me)

More useful -- there is a GDC talk from a long-time indie developer, I think his company is called Spyder Software or something like that -- anyway, he basically says, "don't read reviews, stay away from forums, keep making your games." Bottom line is, avoid things that mess with your productivity, and stay productive.

xVergilx likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

You're Jim Sterling? :eek::p

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Drown them out with positive reviews. A small handful of negative views is normal and won't sink your game. If all of your reviews are negative, there is probably something going on you need to fix.

dogzerx2, Ryiah and xVergilx like this.
  6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Even GTA 5 has some 1 star reviews!!

7. voltage

voltage

This is a little off topic, but my copy wouldn't run despite calling rockstar on three occasions to fix it. I don't have a very great relationship with physical PC media.

Much to the effect Hippo translated, limit what users can access the game and you should have less problems, OP. Personally, I think android is a huge mess of OS variants and hardware to even bother.

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I only listen to constructive criticism, ignores the rest