Search Unity

how do you control tablet sensitivity when painting terrain height?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by wannabeartist, Oct 6, 2010.

1. wannabeartist

wannabeartist

Hi all,

Is there an easy way to control pressure sensitivity when painting height for terrains in Unity?

It seems like I need to drop opacity to 1, if I want anything other than Mount Everest in my terrain :eek:

2. GRoss

GRoss

I would like to know this too.. I've tried painting terrain with a mouse, but I can't get the borders of different materials to be gradual - the opacity control is pretty weird - its pretty much either paint with full opacity, or none at all.

Is there a way to increase the falloff?

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is no support for tablet pressure when painting.
    you can use the tablet if you want to but the opacity is controlled by the slider in the editor, not your pressure

4. GRoss

GRoss

8(

How do you achieve smooth looking transition from different materials on the terrain then? I've used unreal engine 2 and 3 before, and terrain painting is absolutely fantastic in there - material blending is also exceptional. Just disappointed that Unity isn't as good in this respect.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

works here just as well, reduce the slider for opacity (the upper one when I remember right) on the terrain editor infos and then paint.

the difference is you can only control it through this slider, unity does neither support 3d input devices nor tablet pressure at the time at least.

6. jinda2001

jinda2001

Yes I've also encountered the "ham fisted" nature of the Unity Terrain Editor
    I previously was working with torque which has many pitfalls but one thing it had was a solid terrain editor
    specifically;
    a "raise / lower" terrain tool that was based on the Y axis "screen" view whereby you could precisely nudge terrains into place
    around buildings etc.
    This is definatly a place Unity could use some work.

7. GRoss

GRoss

I've tried reducing the opacity and all, but still - there is quite a visible border on the edges of different textures - even if barely visible.. I'm still trying though. What I loved about unreal is that you could actually paint the whole terrain using a supermask image (pretty much 3 different colors for 3 different textures) and then use that inside unreal, or just pain the terrain by hand..

Do you know of a way to maybe import custom terrain brushes?

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

you can import custom brushes at least with U2 it was possible. there is an article on it either here on the board or the unifywiki, not fully sure.

that being said: unity does the texture painting based on a opacity map (called splat map) too but uses all 4 colors of an ARGB texture not only 3 ... whenever you paint a texture you actually alter its specific channel on the splat map

9. GRoss

GRoss

thanks, I'll look into that then.. hoping for the best lol

10. chaping

chaping

I'm using my XP-Pen Star 06 Painting Tablet for everything. I'm having absolutely no problems in unity`s editor, ever, but I do have a problem with some Unity games(including when i run some demo scenes in the editor) that do not(or only partially) seem to recognize my tablet, but I believe this has to do with how they are coded, as other games, including the ones i'm making, work just fine with the tablet.

One thing you can try is to give the Unity editor/game it`s own settings within the XP-Pen tablet drivers. It can help to 1. increase the sensitivity for clicks to max(lighter taps count as clicks) and 2. set the projection mode to mouse mode. This helps for a lot of programs that don't seem to like tablets at first. Hope that was of some help!

hiab-x likes this.