Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you choose your project names?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SurprisedPikachu, May 2, 2020.

1. SurprisedPikachu

SurprisedPikachu

I don't know why, but whenever I want to choose a code name for my projects, I spend quite a while on it and in the end it turns out to be a lame-a** name.
    How do you guys name your projects?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Project names start as a description of the core conceit and gameplay genre. Right now I have a project named "Scifi Tactical Repair Simulator," for instance. The project name is the least important thing to give a S*** about, especially because you can always just change it later if you don't like it or you have a better idea.

3. SurprisedPikachu

SurprisedPikachu

The reason why I actually care to choose a name is because I will use that name for namespaces and assembly names in my code. Maybe I should stop doing that.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

If you're using Visual Studio (or really any robust IDE), you can just use the rename feature to change those across your project as well.

SurprisedPikachu likes this.
  5. MDADigital

MDADigital

Half Life is called GoldSrc internally, random cause why. Doesn't matter but it stuck so they named the next engine Source and now they are on Source 2 :)

Our game is called Shooter internally. It really doesn't matter

6. Socrates

Socrates

I pick a name that is vaguely related to the project and which amuses me. It might be directly obvious like "Space Shooter", or it might be something silly like "Elephant".

I've read stuff about some of the code names professional developers have applied to projects. Sometimes it's to obfuscate what they're working on, sometimes it is for amusement, sometimes it's a direct identifier.

In the end though, does it really matter if you call your project files "Baby Yoda"? (Well, probably not that if it will appear in the codebase itself, since it is copyrighted, trademarked, and probably protected by Disney attack squads.)

More than one game's name has changed during development. At least two games I can think of offhand changed their name even after marketing began. Pick something simple, easy to use in the codebase, and which won't embarrass you when somebody looks at your code.

You may also want to consider creating namespaces based more on use case then on project name. If you have a "User Input" namespace, it's probably easier to move to a new project later than if your namespace is "Call of Duty 417".

7. Ony

Ony

I feel the opposite. The first thing we usually think of is the project name. If we don't like it later on then we can change it, but having a solid, likeable, catchy name gives us a more clear vision of where we're headed, and helps a lot in visualizing colors, UI, etc. The name is everything!

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, I wouldn't obsess over it at the start precisely because it's easily changed, but I do think a name is a useful part of your project's communication, both internal and external.

By the time it goes external you want to be pretty happy with the message and vibe that name is sending, for sure. But even internally, "BubblesForAll" is likely to get me in a different mindset than "GeometryPuzzler".

Internally, go with something that gives the right vibe. Before you go external, test a bunch of aternatives with people who you think will like your game and pick whichever one gets the best response.

Ony likes this.
  9. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I try to make them short and fairly unique, that way autocomplete in the terminal moves faster.

10. Billy4184

Billy4184

NewGameIdea156?

Seriously, I usually pick something associated with whatever is unique about the idea that spawned the project.

11. neginfinity

neginfinity

You can rename projects later.

Feel free to call them Bob181.

12. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

I am deving a new racing game...I have dubbed it......NewRacer!

unityunity