Search Unity

How do you back-up whole Unity engine on external drive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Batka, May 23, 2016.

1. Batka

Batka

Hi,

This is my first post ever, as I just installed Unity.
    Glad to be here.

So, because I live in a country, where we still have 600kbps internet speed, I really want to have Unity saved on external drive.

Is a simple CTRL C + CTRL V of the directory enough? Or are there other files around the Computer drives?

Thanks,

2. Marble

Marble

The directory should be enough unless you have a Pro license, which is not stored with the application.

Batka likes this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Why back up the engine? It makes zero sense to back up software. You can always get a fresh copy from the Internet.

If connectivity is a problem, back up the installer. That way you can simply reinstall and get all of the system configuration happening right.

4. landon912

landon912

Be careful, the Unity installer that comes with the default download does not have the needed files to install. You can get full installers from the archive.

5. Marble

Marble

One good use of backing up the whole engine is for portability. My edu institution, for example, has Unity on its machines, but it is very slow at keeping up to date. One can just plop an up-to-date copy of the engine on an external drive and launch it from there, but one can't download an install the new version individually because of system security.

6. Batka

Batka

Well the installer is like <500mb, and then it downloads the other lots of GB (can't remember the exact number).

So in my case, backing up the installer makes zero sense.

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

No, you're talking about the download assistant. It downloads the installers and installs Unity, and can optionally be told to keep the installers in your specified path.

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Subtle difference. You are suggesting installing Unity of a portable drive. Which is actually a valid option.

Does Unity play nice with such an installation? Some of my software does and some doesn't.

I do wonder how far you'll get making games if you can't distinguish between an installer and a download assistant. If you need offline installation you can download these seperately from the additional downloads link.

9. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Backing up the offline Unity installer is the very 1st measure to take before the zombie apocalypse.

hippocoder and roojerry like this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

There was an option in the installer to save the files it downloaded to install Unity again at a later date.

11. Marble

Marble

Amazingly, it does.

Kiwasi likes this.