Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you animate in Unity?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by nelson0511, Jun 13, 2014.

1. nelson0511

nelson0511

I am wondering if it is possible to actually animate in unity? Or do you have to texture things? (which I don't know how to do)

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Normally you do modeling stuff like texturing and animation in a 3D app.

--Eric

3. nelson0511

nelson0511

Like Blender?

Is their any way to do it in Unity? so then I don't have to learn how to use another program

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You need to use other programs to create content for Unity anyway...3D apps, texture editing apps, sound creation, music composing, script editing. Unity isn't designed to be a 3D modeling app.

--Eric

5. chrisall76

chrisall76

Unity is a game engine, not a all in one solution. You create your 3D models in programs like blender/3DS Max, your music in things like FL Studio/any program that exports to a common format, 2D stuff/GUI in Paint.Net/Gimp/Photoshop, and in Unity you bring things together and code.

For 3D modeling and animation, I suggest Blender. It's free, but some people have problems with the interface (I don't).
    I used this tutorial to learn it.

For music, FL Studio is recommended. I don't know any good free alternative (There is LMMS, but it's bad compared to FL Studio).

For textures, I would recommend Paint.net for simple stuff. But for actual textures I suggest GIMP and a tablet. Using the mouse is horrible for this. I use a Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch CTH480.
    http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-...02703388&sr=8-1&keywords=intuos+pen+and+touch

6. nelson0511

nelson0511

So really Unity is only useful for creating a game. But you need to import all the textures and things.

or is their other things you can do in Unity?

7. TMPxyz

TMPxyz

You could make / modify character animations in Unity Editor with FK/IK support, using my extension Skele.
    (Well, please allow my self-promotion :) )

It could reduce the export/import work and accelerate your workflow, however mastering the skill of animation authoring still calls for learning and practice.

There're many well-made animations in the store. But from time to time you might need to make modifications to fit your need, or make totally new animations(if you have animator skill or willing to learn).

Hope my extension could help indies and animators.

Skele1_1.png

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  8. chrisall76

chrisall76

Same as other engines (UE, CE, etc.), yes.
    Unity does have a animator built-in, but it's horrible imo. The one above is probably better.

9. nelson0511

nelson0511

. what do you mean by the one above is probably better?