Search Unity

How do you actually create custom objects??

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by VicoDrive, Jun 17, 2014.

1. VicoDrive

VicoDrive

Im really confused when it comes to objects. I see the premade squares, spheres, people, etc... But how would I build, say...a house? Every "create objects" tutorial I have found on youtube are not creating anything custom, only working with premade items. Ive played a little with 3DS Max in the past so I have some idea on how you start with a cube, cut it in half, expand parts of it, etc.... Assuming it would be the same thing in Unity, how do I do this, or where is the tutorials on this?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You don't make objects in Unity, you make them in Max or whatever other 3D app you have.

--Eric

3. VicoDrive

VicoDrive

oh geeze your kidding! I wouldnt have even started learning this stuff if I knew I had to buy something else to make stuff for it. Figured making objects was a given in something like this. So then whats the point of making cubes and spheres then unless you are trying to make a Pong type game??

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You don't have to buy anything, just use Blender. The point of the built-in primitives is to have simple shapes you can quickly use for prototyping.

By the way, you make textures outside Unity, you make sound effects outside Unity, music, scripts, pretty much everything. Unity isn't a content creation tool, it's a 3D engine. It's standard for 3D engines that you generally don't make content in them, though there are exceptions, like sometimes there may be some kind of built-in level editor for creating geometry, and Unity itself does have a terrain creator. Actually, one of the attractions of Unity is that importing content is typically pretty seamless, compared to some other engines where it can be kind of convoluted.

--Eric

5. peterdeghaim

peterdeghaim

Even though you cant create objects in Unity, dont give up! Im guessing the reason you wanted to learn anyway was because you have a great game idea so write that idea down and save it.

Save it because when youre a complete beginner, you have to start really really REALLY small. Really small. Start watching some tutorials on YouTube, get an understanding on how scripting works.

When you wanna start modelling, go through some beginner tutorials (BEGINNER, NOT HOW TO CREATE A CHARACTER) and work your way up from there.

Or, if youd rather start with 2D, search up drawing tutorials for what ever software you use.

Then, move on to making music, then sound effects, then cinematics, etc etc.
    Its gonna be a long journey and I can tell you that right now as someone who is only at the beginner of Blender stage.

However, dont just follow these tutorials and not be productive, do make simple games when you come up with one. ESPECIALLY if you can already understand how to make it in your head.

Good luck and have fun :)

6. VicoDrive

VicoDrive

Unfortunately I dont have any game ideas yet. Mainly wanted to start out just recreating places I remember from my childhood (old shopping mall, elementary school, old neighborhood) by memory as a first person walkthrough and share with others that would appreciate that and can give feedback on things I overlooked or dont remember till its as complete as it could possibly get. I figure I would learn a lot this way to where I can get into creating games which I do want to do also (hoping for some side cash somehow eventually). I did use to know Blender when it first came out like 10 years ago but it was a pain in the butt so never stuck with it. Almost seems like it was DOS drivin? I guess I can work with that since it seems to still be totally free. Will see what happens!

7. chrisall76

chrisall76

Unity's just the engine, as any other engine (Unreal, CryEngine, etc.) it will give you basic shapes for testing but your textures, models, etc. are made in other programs. It is not a modeling program, or a program you create objects in. It's something where you put together all the parts you have to make a game.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Blender is just slightly different now compared to when it first came out....

--Eric