Search Unity

How do Simulation games get made

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Skyfall106, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

So I have been doing a bit of research but nothing really explains how simulation games are made in unity 3d or 2d. Personally, I want to make a 2d simulation game but I can't find anything that explains how.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's not clear (to me, at least) what you're asking.

I mean, a simulation game gets made in the same way as any other game — you start with an idea, hash out a design, code it up, refine it via user testing, and ship it. (Well, I tend to use more the spiral model than the waterfall model, but the basic idea is the same.) Nothing in this process is particular to simulation games (nor even to games in general).

Which step is it that's eluding you?

3. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

I mean how is a Simulation Game defined as a Simulation Game. I'm not that used to Unity as I used Unreal Engine Previously.

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

It's just a label. Nothing out of the ordinary.

5. Farelle

Farelle

usually simulation games have a slightly serious undertone and are well researched real life topics, but it actually just means to "simulate" something. The sims are simulating human behavior, vehicle managers, simulate management of vehicles, usually in a large scale...then there are resource management games etc.
    Of course it's actually quite broad genre and can mix in easily with others, therefore it's difficult to find "one" definition for it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation

Kiwasi and JoeStrout like this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Switching between game engines doesn't change how you design the game. At least not with modern game engines that are largely restricted by hardware rather than their own limitations. A game engine from a decade ago might be another matter.

SarfaraazAlladin likes this.
  7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unity doesn't come with a bunch of prepared templates, frames works and assorted crutches. You don't need to tell Unity what type of game you are making.

A simulation game starts like all other Unity games. You create a new GameObject. You click AddComponent. Then you start coding.

8. MV10

MV10

Then you come to forum to ask a question.

While you wait for an answer, you get sucked into an Arowx thread.

The thread is locked.

You forgot what your question was and go back to coding.

9. p1zzaman

p1zzaman

Unless it is the goat simulator game.

But it should attempt to simulate realism

10. LaneFox

LaneFox

I almost forgot about him, the ignore tool has really made my forum experience a lot smoother.

11. Farelle

Farelle

i think one could squeeze it in the "physics simulation" corner, although quirky one

12. cdarklock

cdarklock

Coming from a certain kind of background, "simulation" to me implies that you have two things.

- A collection of actors with needs to be fulfilled
    - A collection of providers that satisfy specific needs

Basically it's along the lines of a mall. We'll say that some store in the mall sells cameras. If you have a need for a camera, this store will satisfy that need. Some kind of generator produces a consumer with some set of needs, and sends that consumer into the mall. If one of those needs is "camera" the consumer will attempt to find and path toward the store that sells cameras. Upon reaching the store, the consumer's "camera" need is satisfied, and some intermediate result is generated (typically money). The consumer will now try to satisfy other needs, and - once all needs are satisfied (or the consumer has given up) - finally exit the mall, producing some overall result (typically a rating).

Is this the kind of simulation you are talking about?

wondermagic likes this.
  13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's a weird definition of simulation games. When I think simulation, I'm thinking something like KSP.

Anyway, that sort of shopping game would be built the same way as any other Unity game. Start with a cube. Add a script that makes it wander around the store. That's your consumer.

Then add a bunch of cubes with scripts that make them add numbers to the consumers. That's your provider.

Add some graphics, tweak the gameplay, and you are done.

14. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

What do you even mean by simulation game? The main idea is it's a generally realistic model of something... whatever that something is. It could be anything from physic to human relationships, though.

MV10 and Kiwasi like this.
  15. cdarklock

cdarklock

That's why I said "coming from a certain background." If you didn't come from the same background, it probably doesn't mean the same thing to you, which is why I'm asking if the OP means what I'm thinking. If he is, I have insights into what he's asking and can help. If he isn't, I'm just as lost as everyone else about what he means by "simulation" - but I don't think he expects us to be lost. I think he believes "simulation" means something very specific, and we should all know what it is.

The only time that's ever been true for me was when I was working at CACI in Chantilly. I still have my signed copy of the SIMSCRIPT II manual somewhere around here.

Kiwasi likes this.
  16. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Hey guys thanks for replying to my form. I have been doing a bit of research for my game and have got some things done minus the scripting except I cant move the camera. All the scripts ive looked at are out of date and don't work ):

17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's easy. Check out Camera.main, Transform.position and Input.GetKey.

Moving a camera around is literally one of the easiest scripts you'll ever write.

18. Skyfall106

Skyfall106

Managed to get it but ive been trying for half an hour now and I cant get the camera to move forward by pressing w back by s rotating with a and d and then adjusting by 3rd click (Middle mouse button/scroll button)

19. MV10

MV10

I once used a variation on one of the solutions I found in this thread. There are many other camera solutions laying around the forums, in the wiki, or scattered about online. Search and Google...

20. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Also, note that that's not a game design issue. If you're still having trouble, you might want to post in the Getting Started forums.

Be sure to include your current code (within code tags), and a clear description of what's going wrong.

MV10 likes this.
  21. carking1996

carking1996

You seem to be new to unity programming, use this, it'll help.

https://unity3d.com/learn

bhaviksatish25 likes this.