Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do most accomplish this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by martman100, Jun 24, 2019.

1. martman100

martman100

I am trying to find the best approach to developing "tracks" that are rolling jumps and basically off road racing. I like the rolling jumps and such of things like Mini Racing Adventures. Do most do these in 3d programs or do they use an asset package. If an asset package which ones. The game I am working on is not a side scroller but more of a fp racing game with a track or "leg" that will have a distinct start and finish line (not lap based).

I am a single developer and not an expert in 3d modeling so looking for the easiest approach. Also this will be for mobile.

Thanks for the info.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Draw height map, use it for new unity terrain, then terrain to mesh.(unity wiki)..then a 4 splat mesh shader.

That would be the mobile terrain pipeline I would use.

3. Arowx

Arowx

4. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

5. Arowx

Arowx

You could probably just get by prototyping by combining the exiting Unity primitives combined with the Prefab blocks in the example temples. E.g. combine two cubes to make an up down ramp.

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Probuilder exists and would be dramatically more suited for this task.

7. Arowx

Arowx

Yes it is but if your not up to speed with 3D modelling it would be quicker and arguably easier to get a fast prototype up and running just assembled from the default 3D building blocks and they would be fine for making a test track for this type of game.

Also you might find some fun physics game play with a more experimental approach than you could with a more pre-designed approach. e.g. driving over a ball pool or wobbly road (road sections on spheres.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  8. Murgilod

Murgilod

It absolutely would not. If you want to create a ramp in probuilder, you just drag a line upwards.

9. Arowx

Arowx

My main point is you could potentially find more fun gameplay by assembling simple parts, sometimes being limited in some way brings out your creative side.

Whereas being given an amazing 3D tool and a blank slate could inversely limit your creativity e.g. Artists sketch things before they paint as this a quicker and easier way to find something good than just starting painting.

As long as you are iterating and having fun, play testing, then it does not really matter what tool your using as long as it does not get in the way.

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Probuilder is not "an amazing 3D tool." If you want to do anything other than greybox with it, it's an uphill battle. It is no less "fun" than arranging primitives, but also dramatically more efficient than it, allowing you to get to the fun part that is testing the game in motion.