Search Unity

1. Full schedule for #UniteBerlin is now available! Featuring talks on our roadmap, hands-on labs and much more! Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I write proper Hindi or similar language ?

Discussion in 'Unity UI & TextMesh Pro' started by bhavinpanara22, Jul 12, 2017.

1. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

Hello,

How do I write Hindi text properly. If I write it, it's screwed in both Unity UI & TextMesh Pro also.
    Please guide me.
    Examples included for Unity & TextEdit(on mac). See the difference.

Thanks.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 12.01.54 PM copy.png Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 12.07.41 PM.png

2. eses

eses

Hi @bhavinpanara22 - What actually is the issue? I fail to see it... The only difference in addition to minor style and color differences is the left aligned text?

You can align text from Text component, Paragraph/Alignment. But I just wonder what the issue is in your case, as the text should be left aligned by default.

3. rahuxx

rahuxx

there are issues with character joining i think.

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

The issue is the current lack of support for ligatures and other font features in TextMesh Pro and other Unity text components.

Support for font features also known as glyph shaping as well as bidirectional text are some of the new features that I am planning on supporting in the new integrated version of TMP.

I am currently focused on this new integrated version of TMP and do not have an ETA yet on when it will be available.

karl_jones likes this.
  5. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

Issue is not as simple as you think.
    Unity renders Hindi( and all indic scripts) completely wrong. Unity can not join some characters. It is not even placing characters in proper sequence. It can not form complex words written in Hindi(or any other Indic script).

6. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

You are understanding my problem very well. Can you please give me a hint what should I do now until you release the next version with GPOS & GSUB support.
    Is there any other way to do so ?

Thanks.

7. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately there is no easy solution. There might be some TextMesh Pro users who may have written some utility to handle ligatures for Hindi but we are sort of stuck hoping for one of them to read this post.

The idea behind this utility would be to take the source string (text) and parse it to replace / insert the correct ligatures. You would also need to make sure that the substituted glyph is also included in the font asset.

8. bhavinpanara22

bhavinpanara22

@Stephan_B Hello Sir,

Please visit the link below.
    This guy has done the work for tamil & telugu. But I can't understand how he has done this ? Can you please giude me about it ? And that guy has done for the 3D text. How can I do it for Unity UI text component ?

http://nareshkumaryakkala.in/unity-text-rendering-issue/

Thanks.

9. ds13

ds13

Hi,
    Any update on supporting ligatures or glyph shaping for Hindi font, other than the link in above comment.
    Please update.

Thanks.