Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

How do I use this to get random points on a navmesh?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by omablak, Mar 2, 2020.

1. omablak

omablak

I want to spawn animals on random points on our navmesh. First I though maybe I could get the hitbox / collider for the navmesh and then iterate upwards unti the hitbox of the animal collides with the navmesh and then spawn it there. But I found this code that I might be able to use: https://gist.github.com/IJEMIN/f2510a85b1aaf3517da1af7a6f9f1ed3

However, I don't know how to use my navmesh on this method since it has no argument for the navmesh. How can I use this method? Is there a better way to do it?.

thanks

2. Ian094

Ian094

I believe you use it like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var randomDestination = GetRandomPoint(transform.position, 100);
    2. agent.SetDestination(randomDestination);
    "100" should be a public variable so that you can tweak it in the inspector. It defines how far from the agents current position the random point should be.

"agent" is a NavMeshAgent component. Declare it and assign the NavMeshAgent component to it.

omablak likes this.
  3. omablak

omablak

thanks

4. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

you can also use NavMesh.SamplePosition with your random position, to get the closest point that is on the navmesh

unityunity