Search Unity

How do I use the MLAPI.Puncher with the MLAPI and Enet transport?

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by z0code0z, Mar 27, 2020.

1. z0code0z

z0code0z

Hello all!

This is my first time setting up multiplayer on Unity and I was planning on using MLAPI along with the Enet transport, I kind of have an idea on how to host and join using the documentation and everything seems to work but I wanted a way to allow players to join each others games without having to port forward

essentially 2 buttons:
    Host (player hosts the server and joins the lobby to wait)
    Join (Brings up a server list showing all the servers available to join // I will probably use the MLAPI server-list module for this)

I haven't gotten to the server list part yet but it doesn't seem too complicated on the other hand I have no idea how to allow players to join each other without the host having to port forward

Thank you for any help and the work being done on these projects are EXTREMELY appreciated!!

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

3. z0code0z

z0code0z

I wasn't sure how to do that, thanks :)

4. TwoTen

TwoTen

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. SimonVigMillard

SimonVigMillard

Hope it's okay that I add a question here @TwoTen . I am trying to use MLAPI.Puncher with the Unity.Networking.Transport example implementation described here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.transport@0.8/manual/workflow-client-server.html

The implementation in the example works great for me, but I'm not 100% sure how to add the Puncher listener. Here is what I've done:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using (PuncherClient connector = new PuncherClient("puncher.midlevel.io", 6776))
    2. {
    3.     // Punches and returns the result
    4.     if (connector.TryPunch(IPAddress.Parse(listenerAddress), out IPEndPoint remoteEndPoint))
    5.     {
    6.         // NAT Punchthrough was successful. It can now be connected to using your normal connection logic.
    7.         m_Connection = m_Driver.Connect(remoteEndPoint); // m_Driver is a Unity.Networking.Transport.NetworkDriver
    8.     }
    9.     else
    10.     {
    11.         // NAT Punchthrough failed.
    12.     }
    13. }
    The line "m_Connection = m_Driver.Connect(remoteEndPoint);" does not compile, because it expects a NetworkEndpoint from the Unity.Networking.Transport library, rather than an IPEndPoint. Is there a way to use the IPEndPoint as a NetworkEndpoint? Or am I completely misunderstanding how to use this?
    Also, do I need to set the MLAPI.Puncher to use my Transport implementation? In the documentation it says that it uses the SlimUDPTransport by default.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  6. potatokiller234

potatokiller234