Search Unity

How do I use an old legacy icon instead of the new adaptive and circle ones?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Antony-Blackett, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I've updated unity to 2018.2.4f1.

I left adaptive icon and circle icons blank in player settings. I expect it to just use the legacy icon how it always did however now the legacy icon ends up as a tiny icon inside a circle on the latest Android OS.

See the 'Mayhem 2' Icon in the right on the top row of the screenshot below.

How do i fix this?

I don't want to use the new icons because they add size to my .apk. Our icon also gets cropped in an unideal way depending on how circular the adaptive icon gets.

Screenshot_20180821-111605.png

2. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

That is done automatically by Android OS since Android 8 when the target API level is 26 or higher. The only workaround would be to specify target API level lower than 26, however as you are probably aware, Google Play already requires new apps to target at least API level 26 and the same requirement will be applied for app updates from November 2018. So if you are updating your app, the workaround could only be used for a short period of time. The only long term solution is to use the adaptive icons. By the way you can ignore round icons as they were only used in API level 25 but the legacy icon is still displayed properly there. So you should provide legacy and adaptive icons for your app.

3. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Thanks for the info.

So google expect us to hit lower and lower app sizes while bloating their own plugins and icon requirements... awesome.

Google play go - 65MBs

They feature under 25MB games frequently

Instant apps - 10MBs...