Search Unity

How Do I Use a Gloss Map?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by B-DizL, Feb 12, 2015.

1. B-DizL

B-DizL

Ive created a material with the main texture, specularity and a normal map but i cant seem to figure out how to add a gloss map. The only option i see is to generate a gloss map based off of a greyscale version of the main texture but i dont want that since i have a specifically created gloss map.

In the unity documentation i found a section that says the alpha channel of the main texture can be used as a gloss map but there seems to be no way to access this alpha channel itself.

How do i insert my gloss map into the material?

2. DennG

DennG

It depends on the shader you're using.

For the Unity 5 standard shader you have to go into Photshop or Gimp and insert the gloss map into the alpha channel of the specular map. Given that you're using the spec setup.

3. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Here's a video on how to control specularity (gloss) with an alpha channel

4. B-DizL

B-DizL

^^ Thats perfect, he even uses GIMP for image editing which is what im using, thanks man :D

5. Wgidz99

Wgidz99

Alternatively you could use the work around that I used. And that is to use the "Nature/Tree Bark" Shader.
    This shader has a Diffuse map, a Normal map AND a separate Gloss map.
    you can use Gimp plugins to create the specular map then go to "Color" (top left) and choose "colour to alpha", then select the color as white. This will turn all white colors in the layer to alpha and the rest should be black.

Hope this helps!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. EETechnology

EETechnology

Hey guys, i am trying to do the same thing but not having success at all! I know this is an old thread, but can someone please help me! Its been hours since i started searching and havent yet found a decent answer!

Thank you!

7. Devinda1234

Devinda1234

Can't Access this video

unity_8EfWW9zAYqYzJw likes this.
  8. FM-Productions

FM-Productions

I was importing a model from Mixamo and wondered about the use of the textures from it in combination with the Standard Shader too.

After seeing the information in this thread, I made a small editor tool that follows the steps mentioned by DennG.
    It is accessible here, feel free to use it if it helps you:
    https://gist.github.com/FleshMobProductions/83e8346b5e37c1487034926fbeec3039

steril and nostklay like this.