Search Unity

How do I update to a new LTS version ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by FalloutAseprite, Oct 13, 2019.

1. FalloutAseprite

FalloutAseprite

Hello !
    I am complete beginner in Unity and starting my gamedev journey. I would like to know how to update to a new LTS version. Do i download the unity downloader assistant or one of the componement installer ? I tried installing the downloader assistant but it's as if I am installing the Unity software. Do you need to reinstall unity with the new version or is there a update button ? Sorry i'm quite new.

PS. I hope I am in the correct thread because I am completely new to the forums.

2. You're good.

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, are you a beginner with no Unity installed or you already have it and you want to upgrade?
    Easiest is if you download the Unity Hub and install the latest LTS from there.

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download Click the Download Unity Hub button. Install the software, log in and install the Unity version of your choice. Latest LTS is 2018.4 currently.

3. FalloutAseprite

FalloutAseprite

I do have unity installed but it says that I have to update it to a new LTS version. But as you said Unity hub was the answer. Turns out there is even a 2019 version and I wasn't aware of that, I installed the 2018 version lol.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It never says you "have to update". It will inform you of an update within your minor release. Tech releases are currently 2019.x.x, while 2018.4.x is right now the LTS releases. You'd stick with 2018.4.x for maximum stability, or install a 2019.x release for the latest new features with a theoretical sacrifice to stability. When working on an existing project, you should not upgrade your Unity version on a whim, but only after careful consideration.

Eventually 2019.4 will release around the same time as 2020.1.0, where 2019.4.x is then in its LTS phase while all new tech releases will be on 2020.x. You'd then assume the same thing would occur a year later with 2021.x, etc, etc.