Search Unity

How do I rename materials?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Residentx, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Residentx

Residentx

I was watching this video, http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/roll-a-ball/set-up?playlist=17141

At minutes 5:50+, It tells me to rename the material but I don't see how.
    Here's a screenshot:

[Edit - I used this forum years ago and now I still can't post images into this forum! How about allowing up to post images into it so we can be precise to get faster support here!]:

I can't do shorten urls or long ones...why have even this feature for images....DELETE!

Attached Files:

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Try selecting the material and hitting F2.

saadawais and Residentx like this.
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Posting images in the forum is trivial, just drag'n'drop.

Anyway, you rename stuff in Unity the same way as you do on your desktop.

--Eric

Ryiah likes this.
  4. jhocking

jhocking

Select the material, click on its name, and then wait a sec for the name to turn into a text input. Basically this:

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I just hit return rather than doing the click-and-wait thing.

--Eric

6. jhocking

jhocking

huh, I would have expected that to open the file just like double-clicking it. oh well either way works

Residentx likes this.
  7. Residentx

Residentx

Originally, I just deleted and recreated it I was building a design based on a video and I trying to keep up so I couldn't just wait. I looked at it today clicked and waited and it changed so I could edit it.

I hate doing stuff under pressure I really do...

8. Residentx

Residentx

Ryiah, the "fn+F2" worked fast...thanks for the tip!

9. Martin_H

Martin_H

Afaik on OSX that is the default to rename something, in windows it is F2.

10. Residentx

Residentx

It's "Fn+F2" if you on a HP Windows Laptop

11. Martin_H

Martin_H

The F-Key row probably is by default mapped to the notebook functions like display brightness, sound volume etc. (because average users use those more often than the F-Keys I guess). You press the fn key in addition to the ohter key to trigger the "real" F-Key and not the other function the specific key has. This may or may not be a software setting on your HP laptop that says what the F-Key row defaults to and what function you get with the fn modifier key only. Imho it is inaccurate to say "Fn+F2 is rename" because in this case the fn key MAKES the other key you press the F2 key.
    You need to be aware of this because if a tutorial says "press F3 to search" it will be "fn + 'F3'" on your laptop and when you try to explain something to someone else the mention of the fn key will possibly just confuse them.

12. Residentx

Residentx

Fn+F2 is rename with Unity

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, it's just F2. Your particular keyboard is whacked so you need to press "fn" to get the function keys to work correctly, but proper keyboards don't have that issue. Much like Apple ruined their desktop keyboards some years ago, where you need to use "fn" unless you set the function keys to work as standard function keys in the prefs (but then you lose the media keys). So I say white pro keyboard forever. ;) It has proper function keys and proper (separate) media keys, and no evil "fn" key, just as the coding gods intended. I bought a spare in case this one ever dies.

--Eric

Martin_H likes this.
  14. Residentx

Residentx

Your right, regular keyboards let you access the fn key directly. My keyboard is not whack...users, including myself use the f-keys mainly to to adjust volume, wifi, and screen brightness. I don't really use it to play games...because it's a business laptop...

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

If anything I would have expected a business laptop to have traditional function keys. I have noticed some smaller laptops, like the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3, have moved the function keys into the number keys and require a "Fn" button to use them.

16. Residentx

Residentx

They have them but you have to hit the "fn" + key to access them. This isn't the mainframe days...

17. Residentx

Residentx

I have an Envy Ultrabook notebook for traveling

My HP 8770w "mobile workstation" has proper function keys.

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Normal keyboards, which are connected to regular computers (not mainframes), have function keys. Also numeric keypads. (Wouldn't want to use Blender without one.) The problem with smaller laptop keyboards is that they have to sacrifice functionality in the name of space, which is one of several reasons (screen size being another big one) why I wouldn't want to develop on one, unless I had no choice.

--Eric

19. Residentx

Residentx

What I mean is that Function keys were use to access the TN3270 sessions served by Mainframes or AS/400s(miniMFs)

I don't develop on this. I have HP z840 for dev. I installed Unity on this because Microsoft and Intel wants partners to start adapting Unity for other things(realsense, etc.) I use to just look at the samples on the road.

20. Residentx

Residentx

I wish they would fix these pop up issues with the forum. I can't click the links in the email to get back to the site when I get replies on W10 now. I have go to directly to the forum.unity3d.com and find my post.

"Please disable your pop up blocker..."

Not Happening...

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, but function keys have had extensive use throughout the years and not simply the mainframe days. My reason for mentioning the Yoga Pro 3 is because it is a convertible laptop (ie both a laptop and a tablet). It makes sense for it to sacrifice features for portability.

Check the upper-right corner of the forums for the text "Alert". If you hover over the text, it'll produce a drop down list. It should inform you of any posts in threads you are watching or have posted in previously. If not then click the link in the drop down list called "Alert Preferences" and make sure they are enabled.

If you want to be emailed whenever you receive a reply, simply hover over your name (found roughly near the Alert text) and click Preferences. You can enable email notifications from there.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Such as pressing F2 to rename a material, perhaps (on Windows, anyway).

--Eric

23. Residentx

Residentx

Really? The function keys on keyboards was created by mainframe use. I don't think anyone will argue this. What are your sources?

Pages 19-20
    http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/...isplay_System_Component_Description_Jun72.pdf

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  24. Ryiah

Ryiah

Where in my posts have I argued that they were not? My point was that function keys have a use on modern platforms and not simply during the mainframe days. Want to see an example of modern use of them? Try hitting CTRL-F4 to close a tab in your browser, press F6 to select the address bar, or push F11 to fullscreen the window.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  25. Residentx

Residentx