Search Unity

How do I place hundreds of road tiles end to end?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Zxen, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Zxen

Zxen

The map of my world is 32x18km. I want to begin with road tiles. How do I lay a thousand of them side by side easily please?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Look up some procedural generation tutorials, such as those by Sebastian Lague on Youtube.

3. Zxen

Zxen

Thanks for putting in the time to think of homework for me to do, but after glancing Sebastian's countless video tutorials that all seem extremely irrelevant to my question, I think it will be faster for me to do it manually until somebody provides step by step instructions using the software I'm using (I have provided clear advice for thousands of people in various forums over the years, and its always step by step - never a link to how they can get started figuring it out for themselves).

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Seriously?! I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but you certainly sound trollish with a response like the above.

Here you go, step-by-step instructions:

Code (csharp):
    1. for (int i = 0; i < 1000; i++)
    2. {
    3.    MakeThing(position);  // you have failed to tell us what you're even making... good luck!
    4.    position += Offset;
    5. }

Ruchir likes this.
  5. Zxen

Zxen

Oh, so
    download (2).png

Thanks so much! Everything is super clear now. By the way, are you trying to gag me by accusing me of being a troll after I implied your assistance is worse than useless? That's not very nice. I actually need help figuring out how to solve the problems with this software. Maybe its better if you don't pollute my threads from now on...

6. Ruchir

Ruchir

If your roads are of uniform dimensions, say 1*1 units or something like 1.5*1.5 units, you could use unity's tile map system to place using the rule tile if I am correct they do support prefabs and such. (Do a quick search on YouTube to make sure though), or just use the snapping system with vertex snapping or just simple world snapping if you don't mind placing by hand :p.

You always have assets like TileCreator but all of them require uniform dimension for it to work properly.

Also, there's EasyRoad3d if you want a simple asset for it.

Free Road Creator asset: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/level-design/road-system-192818 (requires unity 2020 and up)

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  7. Ruchir

Ruchir

It is unreasonable to expect someone to give to step by step tutorial all the time, especially considering you just started with unity (seeing your previous post about placing a png in scene, these things are basic and most experienced devs won't give a step by step tuts to you, they will point to some tutorials or if it's really basic they will just show how it's done), you shouldn't criticize someone for pointing you in the right direction and not doing your work for you (seems what you were expecting), just don't argue with other devs for not solving your problem or they just wont help you even if they could have if you asked nicely second time.

Also, your post missed quite a bit of details like if you already have modular pieces you need to place in your scene, if it's strictly tile based system, or if you just need any kind road in a big map.

So try to describe your problem in greater detail next time. (actually even I don't know what kind of solution you need so I just listed some generic option for creating one, you could always use Houdini for creating much better road systems)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    c-Row, Kurt-Dekker and Deleted User like this.
  8. andywillers

andywillers

Hello, if a 2D tilemap-based video game is any game in which the levels or play areas consist of many small tile-based shapes that collectively form a grid of tiles. Sometimes, the distinction between each tile can be obvious but it might also be seamless and unrecognizable to players.

The collection of tiles available in the game are known as a tileset, and each tile will usually be a sprite that is a part of a spritesheet. If you want to brush up on spritesheets.

9. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sorry, but another "isnt there an easy button?" post (yea, i get alot of you when i teach). Your post count is 26, that tells me all i need to know. Game dev aint easy, and you need to spend the time to pay your dues. Stop looking for the "easy button" and start actually learning something, regardless of how long that takes...