Search Unity

How do I model a pair of shoes?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Paulprog16, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Paulprog16

Paulprog16

Hello everyone,

I have a sportsman, who has a pair of sneakers that I low-poly modeled (very basically) in Blender.

Now, the problem is, I am not sure how I am supposed to make them look like real shoes.

I guess there are two options:

1) Modeling each part of the shoe in Blender, like the sole, the laces, the tongue, etc., which would inevitably make the shoe much more high-poly than I would like it to be.

2) Leave the shoe with just the basic shape, which no details at all, and UV map absolutely all the details, creating the illusion of them being real.

What is the usual approach? Is there any other option that I am not considering? o_O

PS: I forgot to mention I want there to be several different models to be selected.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I'd say it depends on your poly budget. Some details are really hard to texture so it also depends on your skillset in that regard.

I would think that those are your two options. If they are typical shoes, as in you don't get much poly budget for them because they are such a small part and not seen up close much, then you are going to lean towards texturing that detail.

3. Teila

Teila

Create a high poly model of the show, with sole, laces, tongue, etc. Then copy the model and make a low poly model. You can decimate but it is best to use retopology. Look for some tutorials for Blender. Then bake a normal of the high poly model onto the low poly model you have created.

You will get a nice normal map that will make the details of your shoe look 3d even if not 3d. That is the typical way to do this sort of thing. :)

Garrom and Dustin-Horne like this.
  4. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

XNormal is very good for this once you have your high and low poly meshes.

5. danial2147

danial2147

I think you should try to create high poly model and then convert it into low poly model i know this will difficult only once after this you create easily lets try if you can't you can take help from me but i am in this forum because i want create model of racing game and i need some help kindly guide me because you have already done this and you heave great info about low-poly.